Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Moving in with the in laws

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:21 PM
  • 20 Replies
My mil called us up and asked if would come over and talk. When we got there she asked if we would move in to help her with her mortage. So we broke our lease today and will pay for June. So now I'm packing all our stuff and moving in with her for a year. I don't want to but was always thought you help family. And well she is family so we are gonna help her and fil. It helps us as well cause we are saving for a house. So I guess I can live for a year.
by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
missdiadots
by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Family is definitely important. I lived with my in laws for a year while we were building our house. 

I am however convinced that since our marriage survived that year it can survive pretty much anything.... it wasn't an easy adjustment and I'm glad I was working full time and had friends who kept me out of the house as much as possible. 

amy1will
by Amethyst on May. 26, 2013 at 7:53 PM
It is important and my mom always told me you help if you can. And well we can. So I'm going to. If she was alive and needed it we would help her.

They way I figured it mil and fil got to work by 8am and come home by 5pm. So it will be me and our kids all day. My dh worksddifferent hours all the time. Then by 6 I'd dinner baths and bed by 8 I can go to my room after that. Sat we will go do something to get out of the house with dh. And Sunday fil will be at work so it will be me and mil and she's not as bad about the way we raise the boys as fil. So it won't be to bad.

Quoting missdiadots:

Family is definitely important. I lived with my in laws for a year while we were building our house. 

I am however convinced that since our marriage survived that year it can survive pretty much anything.... it wasn't an easy adjustment and I'm glad I was working full time and had friends who kept me out of the house as much as possible. 

Mish321
by on May. 26, 2013 at 7:56 PM

I lived with my In-Laws, big mistake, and they are VERY nice people. I hope your MIL is an angel, otherwise it whould not be pretty. 

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2013 at 8:03 PM

I would make sure everyone is on same page for Household rules that everyone follows.  Type those up and sign them so that if arguments do start about things, you have a reference.

Mommylovesdada
by Member on May. 26, 2013 at 8:14 PM
We did it for a while and it was absolute hell. I adored my in laws until I lived with them. Now the we are on our own I adore them again lol good luck! It'll be rough sometimes but its only a year
Amybelle
by on May. 26, 2013 at 8:15 PM

................WELCOME to HELL

silverdawn99
by Jamie on May. 26, 2013 at 8:16 PM

lol good luck

Jessica45
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Good luck!! We did the same 3 years ago to help out MIL. Only things didn't work out to well for us. We gave her the money for every single bill, she said she was paying them - everything was in her name. We found out the other day that she hasn't been when the electric people came to shut us off or we had to pay over a grand to keep them on and that wasn't even the total. Then Friday dh found out that she hasn't been paying the mortgage for a year and the house in foreclosure. So the $2300 for mortgage we give her plus all the money for the utilities shes been using to go shopping.
We're no longer on speaking terms. She blames me for the reason that dh is not speaking to her and us moving. Once the school year is over we're out of here. I can't wait!!!!!
She's an insane lunatic!! I can't wait to get away.
I hope everything works out for you guys!! Good luck!! I believe family should help each other out whenever possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
princesskt
by on May. 26, 2013 at 8:36 PM

B4 my hubby and I were married we lived w/my parents.  My dh was nervous, and it wasn't "perfect', but overall it went well.  I would just try to keep a positive attitude and be understanding...You might not like everything your inlaws do, but I'm sure you can make it work..You are correct..Family helps each other out..You are a good person for doing this!!! 

Amybelle
by on May. 26, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this

T-Minus 6 Weeks until the ........."I can't stand living with my In-Laws" post

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN