Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Step kids 101?

Posted by on May. 26, 2013 at 8:51 PM
  • 25 Replies
So back in October I married my best friend. I have a 6 year old son and he has a 9 year old daughter and a 6 year old son. Whenever people ask how many kids we have I always have an awkward pause and I don't know what to say. My parents are still together so I'm not used to this blended family thing. I never know how to put it. I don't know the "rules"... whenever I say "we have 3 kids" I feel like I'm taking credit for 2 beautiful children that I didn't give birth too but whenever I say he has 2 and I have 1 people give me a lecture about how they are both our kids and I should never use the word "step". I just don't know the right way to saying it. I love them all and don't bash me I am simply asking how is the proper way of describing my family ? Thanks
by on May. 26, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alli1204
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe just say "we have 3 kids combined". That tells that there are step kids involved but that you're claiming all as your kids. Idk.....that's just what I would do :)
petie1104
by on May. 26, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I usually say, "all together, 4". If they ask for clarification, then I get specific. Otherwise, I don't. Sometimes, depending on the situation, if its a cashier asking about why I have so many groceries then I usually say, "I'm feeding 4 kids and a husband". So there are different ways of saying it. I also, times say, "I'm raising 4 kids".
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I agree with the other posters.

BrownEyedGirl86
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I answer how many children are in my family. We have 3. I go into detail if needed.
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2013 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this
We have 5 :) but we are an "old" step family. My DH and I have been together 11 yrs and our oldest boys were 2 and 1 when we started. It gets easier as you go!
Momofmenagerie
by on May. 26, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Take some credit! It won't be long until you WILL be a heavy influence in his children and he in yours.

If you aren't ready yet due to your own hesitation " we have three lovely children between us." Is a perfect way to phrase it, I think.
zakariae
by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM

just say we family

Arwyn724
by on May. 27, 2013 at 9:18 AM

There were 4 kids in my family growing up, my siblings were one whole, one half and one step.  We just said 4 kids.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on May. 27, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I say four.  Sometimes I will explain the his/mine/his/ours to them because the kids are all so close in age.  It would be physically impossible for them to all be biologically mine.

jojo_star
by on May. 27, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I am a mom of 4, only one is my biological child, but they are all my kids, and I say that, I have four children. It all depends on what you, your husband, their biological mother, if she is in the picture, and the children are comfortable with, ignore other people. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)