Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

anesthesia update

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 2:22 PM
  • 20 Replies
My ds is having dental surgery tomorrow, he is four but is behind mentally by a year/ year and half. The dental office wants me to give him nothing after midnight, there is NO WAY we could do that. Ds had his tonsils out last yr in September and they had me do no food and/or drink after 4am. He was put under general anesthesia for that and had no eating/vomiting issues. Ds still has a glass of milk right around 4/5am otherwise he gets up for the rest of the day then, we are all cranky. His dental appointment/surgery isn't till 1pm. Can I give him one last glass of milk at 4/5am and be okay? I know from my surgeries they have told me no food or drink for at least six hours.

I have not talked to the anesthetist, I am going to call to make sure or work it out so he gets what he needs and I'm not a very cranky mom tomorrow. I was just wondering what you all thought?

update: they had called me this morning to let me know that 4/5am was an okay time to stop foods/drinking.

He had his surgery it went fine, it was a 2 hr surgery with one extraction. We found out my genes played a huge part in why he has teeth problems. Anyways all is good he is sleeping now.
by on May. 27, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bookoholic
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 2:44 PM
Bump, anyone?
Rust.n.Gears
by on May. 27, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't do it. He can vomit and it will go into his lungs. He can flat line. A glass of milk is not worth his heart stopping.
MommaH4
by on May. 27, 2013 at 3:02 PM

i find it strange that they would schedule a childs appointment for something like that so late in the day with him not being able to eat or drink anything after midnight.

Big_Momma_X02
by on May. 27, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Don't do it. He can vomit and it will go into his lungs. He can flat line. A glass of milk is not worth his heart stopping.

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM
I CAN do it, I found the paperwork in my email that says 6-8 hour no food which means 4am is the last time I can give him food/drink. if you read my whole post you would see that he would be going 13 hrs with NO food or drink.

Quoting Big_Momma_X02:

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM
me too, last dental apt we made that was for middle of day for surgery it was nothing after 4/5am. which is totally doable. so I went though all the paper work I got and it says no food or drink after 4am or 6-8 hours before surgery. 13 hr seems bit long for a child.

Quoting MommaH4:

i find it strange that they would schedule a childs appointment for something like that so late in the day with him not being able to eat or drink anything after midnight.

Andylund
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM
Just make it small maybe do a late nap today and then keep him up so he will sleep a lot later it will help him he won't be cranky cuz he will be sleeping later and they say if people have to have certain meds they can have 4oz of water with them 2 or 3 hrs before ( I'm a CNA and my mom had worked in the OR for 15 yrs)
Bookoholic
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Thank you, this is VERY helpful. He already sleeps in till 9,10, sometimes 11.

Quoting Andylund:

Just make it small maybe do a late nap today and then keep him up so he will sleep a lot later it will help him he won't be cranky cuz he will be sleeping later and they say if people have to have certain meds they can have 4oz of water with them 2 or 3 hrs before ( I'm a CNA and my mom had worked in the OR for 15 yrs)

jconney80
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Good luck I hate going through that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookoholic
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Thanks, I hate the day of but after that I get the best sleep ever lol

Quoting jconney80:

Good luck I hate going through that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)