Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If you have a child that is hyperactive please help me.PIOG

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM
  • 11 Replies

My niece is 2 1/2 and out of control, she won't stay still for 5 mins. I know all kids are hyper and run around but this is too much. Yesterday we had a BBQ with over 60 people at my moms house and there were lots of kids. My sister couldn't let her outside to play with the kids cause she was just running out of control, pushing other kids(plus it was cold out and she had a runny nose) so they went inside and one lady who had never seen my niece asked me. She is hyperactive right? I told her that she didn't have an actual diagnosis yet but we were all leaning towards it. In the 10 mins she was inside she tried to carry a table lamp that she almost broke. Took a vase with flowers and threw it all out by my aunt's feet. Threw herself on the floor when her mom brought her food, brought out all her toys and threw them in the living room. Needles to say my aunt and everyone that was in the living room were going crazy. Now she had an EEG and early intervention and both said she was fine. So I don't know what type of test is done for hyperactivity if any. There is a lot my sis can do to maybe calm her a bit but up until yesterday she was against them all. Last I heard my mom said she might ask her therapist to medicate my niece. My question is if you have a hyperactive child was it diagnose? what do you do about it? medicine, natural ways.

by on May. 27, 2013 at 6:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 27, 2013 at 6:33 PM

What are her consequences for acting this way?  They usually will not diagnosis a toddler or preschooler.  One test I know parents have done at home to see if it is adhd is to give the child some caffeine to watch if it will calm the child down rather than hype them up more.    My dd is a high energy child not adhd,  she has recieved consequences from about 2 yrs old on for any poor choices she makes.

kaylasmom22
by on May. 27, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

What are her consequences for acting this way?  They usually will not diagnosis a toddler or preschooler.  One test I know parents have done at home to see if it is adhd is to give the child some caffeine to watch if it will calm the child down rather than hype them up more.    My dd is a high energy child not adhd,  she has recieved consequences from about 2 yrs old on for any poor choices she makes.

Pretty much nothing, her aunt (my other sister) to calm her down gives her candy which everyone including the mom has told her not to. I personally sit her down on her chair when she misbehaves but I see her ounce every few weeks. My sister (the aunt) sees her everyday.

Ktina11
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM
This is a parent problem....not a child problem. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Pretty much nothing, her aunt (my other sister) to calm her down gives her candy which everyone including the mom has told her not to. I personally sit her down on her chair when she misbehaves but I see her ounce every few weeks. My sister (the aunt) sees her everyday.

Then they are to blame for her behavior , not a medical diagnosis.   A toddler needs structure and rules not to be running around like a crazy child.  Then giving candy is a reward for the bad behaviors.

C8linVilla
by on May. 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM

My 4 year old is like that. Not rude or anything but she is up at 6am We walk 3 miles round trip to the store(she walks/runs the entire way. Then we will play outside on our almost acre where she chases the chickens, goats and pit bull. She will come in and play inside as well. But come bedtime she cant sleep. she wont fall asleep until 10pm-11pm. We do not give soda and not much juice we make our own fruit roll ups and treats so the sugar is way less. She can not sit and watch an entire show Not even her favorite shows she will run around while watching it. Doctors all say its 100% normal and so did my family until they babysit her and then they all say something is not normal. 

She also has HORRIBLE moodswings and goes from happy to sad to mad all in 5 seconds flat. We do punish. Spank or time out but they dont seem to help. I dont have any advice but i do understand what yall are going through! My 1 year old is taking in her footsteps but my 2 year old is a normal calm toddler. I hope the others dont have this much hyperness when they get older!

kaylasmom22
by on May. 27, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting kaylasmom22:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Then they are to blame for her behavior , not a medical diagnosis.   A toddler needs structure and rules not to be running around like a crazy child.  Then giving candy is a reward for the bad behaviors.

And I agree with you 100% I just wanted to know more about what is a hyperactive child per say. DD is fine thanks God but I have never experience a behavior like my niece has so I was confused.But in all honesty even when punish she won't stay still for a min. Its not like you can punish her and she will go quietly. lol

kaylasmom22
by on May. 27, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Quoting C8linVilla:

My 4 year old is like that. Not rude or anything but she is up at 6am We walk 3 miles round trip to the store(she walks/runs the entire way. Then we will play outside on our almost acre where she chases the chickens, goats and pit bull. She will come in and play inside as well. But come bedtime she cant sleep. she wont fall asleep until 10pm-11pm. We do not give soda and not much juice we make our own fruit roll ups and treats so the sugar is way less. She can not sit and watch an entire show Not even her favorite shows she will run around while watching it. Doctors all say its 100% normal and so did my family until they babysit her and then they all say something is not normal. 

She also has HORRIBLE moodswings and goes from happy to sad to mad all in 5 seconds flat. We do punish. Spank or time out but they dont seem to help. I dont have any advice but i do understand what yall are going through! My 1 year old is taking in her footsteps but my 2 year old is a normal calm toddler. I hope the others dont have this much hyperness when they get older!

I feel for my sister at times because she tries but she is outnumbered by my mom,dad and our other sister. I told her not to visit until everyone is on the same page with her, but my 6 year old goes to visit and asks me to leave. She tells me mommy its too much. And my daughter loves to play and run aroun, but when it comes to my nice she just can't handle it lol

Gooberzilla
by Member on May. 27, 2013 at 7:42 PM
I don't have a hyperactive kid, but I do have a hyperactive dog. Not the same thing at all, but I have learned some basic tricks that may help.
1. Structure. This kid probably isn't hyperactive, she just has no idea her behaviors are inappropriate. A 2 year old is going to pick up lamps, throw toys on the floor and take flowers out of vases unless someone tells her not to. My dog doesn't know the difference between chew toys and the book I'm reading because she's a dog. It is MY job to tell her no and to redirect her behavior in a more appropriate way.
2. Assuming that #1 is in place and the child is still hyper (meaning lots of energy, hard time controlling impulses, and shows remorse for breaking rules, but can't seem to stop herself from doing so), the second thing is: Lots of exercise. She needs to have at least the 60 minutes of physical activity, plus fun structured activities that involve movement. Keep any forced stillness to a minimum and don't expect a hyper child younger than say 9/10 to be able to keep themselves calm in a boring situation (their brain lags behind in development of executive functioning, so they just cannot stop themselves from doing something to relieve boredom) and make sure if you need them to behave in a certain situation (say dinner out) that you give them something to do to keep them occupied.
3. Reward quiet behavior. Every kid, no matter how hyper, will have times they are resting, quiet, or occupied with a calm activity. It is tempting to sigh in relief and get something done for a change, but if you want those moments to increase you HAVE to reward them. Dogs get treats, but kids could get a hug or kiss, a pat on the back, a sticker or some other kind of small reward.
ahappymommy
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 7:45 PM

SHe isnt hyperactive, she is a spoiled brat, there is a difference. Im not a doctor but I do have a diagnosis, its called, "Imallowedtorunamokanddowhateveriwantitis!" There is a simple cure, its called hand to ass therapy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN