Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is this Cheating the System??

Posted by on May. 27, 2013 at 6:35 PM
  • 25 Replies

Ok so Im big into freebies and Coupons. I on any given week get 2-10 free product coupons, $$ off coupons and 5-30 Freebies. 

Each week i sit down and go through all my coupons and get everything ready for shoping. So i get to the store get everything and go to check out. My total Came to $280. With store coupons it went down to $244. Then with my coupons and my free product coupons I got it down to $165. I then go to pay and I pull out an EBT card. The Cashier actually looked at me and said This is cheating the system. The EBT card is to help you out but not do all the work for you. you are cheating by using coupons and EBT card to get everything Free*

Thats not exact words but basiclly and im pretty sure all the couponing was on me. I did all that work not my ebt card.... I only get $114 for a family of 6. Thats not enough to get a months worth of food let alone a week so I use coupons whats the issue?? 

I would love some Clarification on how this is *Cheating the system* 

And no i didnt say anything to her I honestly could not think of anything to even say to her. i was in shock she even spoke to me like that... and no not at walmart lol this was at Fred Meyer

by on May. 27, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
huntersmama711
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2013 at 6:39 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't see as cheating the system. You're making your food dollars stretch, which is smart. I think you should report that cashier. She should be reprimanded for talking to a customer like that. I'm sorry she made you feel bad, or question what you're doing.
onethentwins
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 6:41 PM
3 moms liked this

She's crazy. If anything you're saving the tax payers money by not paying full price. Frankly I'd complain to the manager. 

alexis_06
by on May. 27, 2013 at 6:41 PM

people like that piss me off..its not like the money is comin out of her frickin pocket, so why the heck does she care!!??!!  because you are smart, and know how to use coupons, that means your cheating the system?! sooo dumb!!  god forbid you try and feed your family! 

a06z08mama
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2013 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't see it as cheating the system. $114 doesn't go far. Even with someone who doesn't use EBT. They would be doing the same thing to get their total down. I would report her. I had a cashier look at my end balance for my FS one time. I about flipped a lid. And my incident was at Walmart.
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on May. 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM
What? No. That makes no sense.
C8linVilla
by on May. 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Thanks ladies! Im just trying hard to figure out how its any different then using x10 of one coupon to get everything free.... Its not like i used fake coupons or anything. and i worked hard to get all the coupons i did and plan it out and everything. might now be all the healthiest stuff in the world but i didnt get candy and soda or anything. 

manamott
by on May. 27, 2013 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I would think exactly the opposite. That you are using the assistance wisely. I'm not seeing how that could be cheating the system. Screw them...you do what you have to do to get food on your table. I think you're doing great!
rayroe2
by on May. 27, 2013 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this
No....its saving the system money. Because if you don't use the money it just goes towards whatever else the government wants to use it for.
EmilyG10
by on May. 27, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I agree!

Quoting huntersmama711:

I don't see as cheating the system. You're making your food dollars stretch, which is smart. I think you should report that cashier. She should be reprimanded for talking to a customer like that. I'm sorry she made you feel bad, or question what you're doing.

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on May. 27, 2013 at 6:57 PM
She's just Jealous that you are saving more money than her.

Tell you how those coupons and freebies work. They are paid by the manufacturer to promote their product. Doesn't mean you have to use them sparingly.

You're awesome and a friggin genius!

Let her hate.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN