Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is teacup size dog a type of breed??

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM
  • 11 Replies

I was looking at toy poodles and I have noticed that many dogs now say "teacup" is that even a type or just breeding runts?? just wondering these dogs are like 3LBS.  I know there are toy size dogs but im surprised to see teacup so just wondering...

by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RADmomma
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:19 PM
2 moms liked this
Tea cup dogs are just tiny dogs. Poodles, terriers...

I might be mistaken but its actually because if inbreeding & genetic mutations,

They tend not to be very healthy dogs. The smaller u go the more problems it will have... Generally speaking,
Elevenhounds
by on May. 29, 2013 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Like RADmomma said 'teacup' is a size and not a breed. 

I wasn't sure about the health issue but I read on "Teacup Puppies"

"Because of their tiny size and delicate nature, their immune systems may be a bit more compromised than that of a larger puppy, so we need to be extra careful about what they come into contact with (e.g. no dog parks until all vaccines are complete) and how they are handled (e.g. too much handling or any stressful events such as their first bath or vaccine can contribute to hypoglycemia and/or a compromised immune system). As they get older their immune systems grow stronger, just as a baby's does, and they are just as healthy as any other dog. "

They are definitely not the best pets for small children.

reche1978
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 4:02 PM

yea thats what I thought im just noticing that teacup is very popular

Quoting Elevenhounds:

Like RADmomma said 'teacup' is a size and not a breed. 

I wasn't sure about the health issue but I read on "Teacup Puppies"

"Because of their tiny size and delicate nature, their immune systems may be a bit more compromised than that of a larger puppy, so we need to be extra careful about what they come into contact with (e.g. no dog parks until all vaccines are complete) and how they are handled (e.g. too much handling or any stressful events such as their first bath or vaccine can contribute to hypoglycemia and/or a compromised immune system). As they get older their immune systems grow stronger, just as a baby's does, and they are just as healthy as any other dog. "

They are definitely not the best pets for small children.

strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM

its a size. seems like they have a lot of health issues though.

mom_dl6
by on May. 29, 2013 at 5:39 PM
My Belle was a toy poodle terrier mix and the best dog i have EVER been loved by RIP sweet girl i deeply miss you !

calsmom62
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2013 at 6:10 PM
We had a teacup poodle back in the sixties.
stacey7710
by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I have a teacup yorkie. When I got him I wasn't looking for a teacup I just wanted a small dog. He has been 3 to 4 pounds his entire life and only since he's gotten older has he gained a pound and weighs a hefty 5 lbs. He has been healthy his entire life and this year he will be 14. He is the bravest of my dogs and he grew up with 3 labs (2 of which have died 1. cancer and 2. heart.) so I don't think you ever really know.

reche1978
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM

wow thats good

Quoting stacey7710:

I have a teacup yorkie. When I got him I wasn't looking for a teacup I just wanted a small dog. He has been 3 to 4 pounds his entire life and only since he's gotten older has he gained a pound and weighs a hefty 5 lbs. He has been healthy his entire life and this year he will be 14. He is the bravest of my dogs and he grew up with 3 labs (2 of which have died 1. cancer and 2. heart.) so I don't think you ever really know.

LectioDivina
by on May. 29, 2013 at 7:18 PM

It's a size

megz0511
by Member on May. 29, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Mobile Photo

It's a size. I vote for big dogs, but we're bias. Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)