Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Discovery of a Mammoth

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 5:53 PM
  • 12 Replies

Your opinion ladies.

http://phys.org/news/2013-05-russian-scientists-rare-blood-mammoth.html

Would you honestly want a creature like this back on earth?

Very interesting, nonetheless. However... I cannot agree on trying to clone such things. We really don't know much about these animals, only speculations. The earth isn't truly in the state it was in when these beasts roamed. The chances of it's survival is limited and cruel. Bring it back, for what? In the name of science? We (people and animals alike) could not adapt to it's presence as well as it not being able to adapt to our world with all the weather changes and god only knows what else. Yes, I think it would cool to say "Hey! We brought the Mammoth back to life!". I stand more importantly on the humane side of not having it back in this world. There is too much on either side for failure.

by on May. 29, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Derpy
by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I doubt the clone with live long,if it even works at all.They couldn't keep a sheep alive,much less a giant mammoth

CrystalYaris
by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Exactly! But "what if". That is what I'm thinking. "What if scientists get it together and can keep something alive through cloning". Would it be truly worth it in the long run?

Quoting Derpy:

I doubt the clone with live long,if it even works at all.They couldn't keep a sheep alive,much less a giant mammoth

cLanief
by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Lmfao do you really think something that is cloned cant survive in our world now cuz it may not have the same things? Lol that's like saying animals cant live in zoos cuz its not their real habitat.
Derpy
by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Probably not.
In the end,they will be the death of us. 

Quoting CrystalYaris:

Exactly! But "what if". That is what I'm thinking. "What if scientists get it together and can keep something alive through cloning". Would it be truly worth it in the long run?

Quoting Derpy:

CrystalYaris
by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Think about it. The time mammoths were around, the climate was so much different than today. Would we even have the means to care for something we truly don't know anything about?

Quoting cLanief:

Lmfao do you really think something that is cloned cant survive in our world now cuz it may not have the same things? Lol that's like saying animals cant live in zoos cuz its not their real habitat.

cLanief
by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Umm yeah.. .we have different natural climates all over the world and theres always faking climates..... which is what they do in zoos..... and growing plants. If its a clone they do start as babies so of course... babies adapt... as it grows thw care takers of it would adapt its habitat. It would be a great way to see what an extinct specie is actually like instead of theories. But then again.. it would adapt so it wouldn't be the same temperament it was orginally. But then it might... who knows.

Quoting CrystalYaris:

Think about it. The time mammoths were around, the climate was so much different than today. Would we even have the means to care for something we truly don't know anything about?

Quoting cLanief:

Saharra
by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:22 PM
It's kinda cool that they found it, but I don't like cloning..... Period.
CrystalYaris
by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Like a previous poster said, the chances of survival are unlikely through cloning. Even set aside "faking a climate", this is 10,000+ years of climate changes since this beast was alive. Yeah, it would be cool to see it. At the same time, frightening because we don't know the outcome. Can it adapt? Will it have it's natural behavior as it did in those days? We would never truly know the real bahaviour of this animal because we only speculate what things were like during that time. It's a gamble.

Quoting cLanief:

Umm yeah.. .we have different natural climates all over the world and theres always faking climates..... which is what they do in zoos..... and growing plants. If its a clone they do start as babies so of course... babies adapt... as it grows thw care takers of it would adapt its habitat. It would be a great way to see what an extinct specie is actually like instead of theories. But then again.. it would adapt so it wouldn't be the same temperament it was orginally. But then it might... who knows.

Quoting CrystalYaris:

Quoting cLanief:

CrystalYaris
by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I'm on the fence about cloning. I can see positive things coming from it, but I also see negative things. It is by no means a guarantee way for even the positive things that could come through cloning. Things like this, cloning should not even be the first thought. Let's study the DNA structure of this animal. Let's compare it to today's animals. Even preserve what blood we did get from this thing. Just don't try to recreate it. I think it would be cruel to the mammoth to bring it to life to only have it die hours or days later. Knowing we don't have the means to support it.

Quoting Saharra:

It's kinda cool that they found it, but I don't like cloning..... Period.

blue_apalt
by on May. 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM
3 moms liked this

I think overall I agree w/ you.  I wouldn't worry too much about the animals personality or it being a danger or anything, but I would worry about the animal in this current time -food, the idea of it being alone or one of only a few colones (not to mention then what? Are we going to create a whole number of them?  Mammoths that are then all genetically the same w/ no real gene pool?), and it would presumably be in captivity it's whole life?  IDK...it would be cool, as you said, but at the same time the idea of cloning is a sketchy one over all morally and safety wise, and I just don't see our current world being a beneficial place for a mammoth (or mammoths) to live  and prosper --short of them being able to be free animals enjoying life w/ space to roam, plenty of food to eat, healthy, etc. I just don't see it being good.   We shouldn't play God just because we can...I can see no benifit to them or us in bringing them back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)