Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need help making grocery money last

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:05 AM
  • 17 Replies
So my budget a month for groceries is 400.00 no more no less. i have a family of 4 soon to be 5. i need to be able to buy something quick for breakfast for my husband can be pre-packaged ect,breakfast for myself and my two boys,lunch for myself and two boys,snack and drinks for my husband to bring to work and dinner. any good money saving tips?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tipsen
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Do you have a sams club or Costco?
momofthree1987
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:12 AM
No i dont.

Quoting Tipsen:

Do you have a sams club or Costco?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smurfbitebug
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:16 AM
There is no play at all in that budget? That worries me. Because I make dinners from scratch for a family of four plus DH's lunches and breakfast for everyone. I spend about $200 every two weeks, so it can be done, but you have another family member on the way and there are many times I will go over $200. You're going to have to have such a strict discipline about shopping, cooking, and eating to pull this off. Plus breastfeed.
mesfilles
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Is this for food only or is that for misc. cleaning products, laundry detergent, etc.?

momofthree1987
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Thats strictly food budget

Quoting mesfilles:

Is this for food only or is that for misc. cleaning products, laundry detergent, etc.?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofthree1987
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Yes i am going to breastfeed so baby wont need food for the first 6mths even then wic will help out

Quoting smurfbitebug:

There is no play at all in that budget? That worries me. Because I make dinners from scratch for a family of four plus DH's lunches and breakfast for everyone. I spend about $200 every two weeks, so it can be done, but you have another family member on the way and there are many times I will go over $200. You're going to have to have such a strict discipline about shopping, cooking, and eating to pull this off. Plus breastfeed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mesfilles
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Quoting momofthree1987:

Thats strictly food budget

Quoting mesfilles:

That's good, definitely doable.  I would buy only enough produce for a couple days at a time so you know there will be no waste.  What does your husband like to eat for breakfast?  Could you make him a breakfast burrito with eggs, gr. pepper, onion and cheese?  That would be quick and easy and portable.  

mesfilles
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Oops, hit reply on accident.  Does your family like legumes?  If so, it's a healthy meat alternative that is much cheaper so that can really stretch your meals.  We eat a lot of beans and lentils just because I prefer them over meat.  You could cut out all drinks except water, it's free and much healthier than soda anyways.

kjsaes
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:32 AM
We spend about 400 a month for a family of 4. I usually make from scratch also.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

smurfbitebug
by on May. 31, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Well.. hmm. I know part of the problem (why I go over $200) usually is the fact that I don't do very well keeping staples stocked in the kitchen.
Do you keep up with your staples well?

Quoting momofthree1987:

Yes i am going to breastfeed so baby wont need food for the first 6mths even then wic will help out

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)