Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Opportunity of a lifetime - would you go?

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:23 AM
  • 53 Replies
I need advice on what to Do. My best friend is going to Alaska this summer for a month, and offered to take me with him. We would be driving there from maryland, and driving for about a week to get there. We would then spend 2 weeks in a cabin there that his family owns, and the next week driving back. The whole trip would be free to me, except for food and gifts to bring back. The gas to get there and the place to stay is all being paid for by his grandmother as a present for graduating college. This would be the opportunity of a lifetime, I'd never get the chance to to this ever again. My question is, would you go? Could you leave your child for an entire month? If I go, my son (who's 4) would stay with his dad and step mom for the month until I come back. I also have the possibility of staying for just 2 weeks, and fly back home so I'm not gone as long. The other thing I have to think about is getting off work for a month. What would you do?
by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2twoangel
by on May. 31, 2013 at 10:25 AM
3 moms liked this

I would go.  As long as you are comfortable with your son staying with his dad and stepmom, and you can take the time off without getting fired, go.  When will you ever be able to do something like this again?  Take time for yourself and have a good time.  

kellybean44
by on May. 31, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldnt leave my girls for that long. 

2 weeks, yes. A month, no

tossed
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 12:16 PM

It sounds like the shortest amount of time would be 3 weeks....week driving there, 2 weeks there, and then fly home unless you have round trip tickets. 

I would be concerned about employment. I certainly don't know your financial situation, but you would still have rent and bills where you live and most people can't afford to not have a job.

Who would pay for the motels on the trip to and from?

What is the longest you have left your child? If you have never been away from him for long periods of time, this might be hard. Would it give his dad and step mom the thought of applying for full time custody?

Sounds like there are several issues and this has not really been thought through.

refogel
by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I wouold go. I want to move to Alaska! I think I would drive there. just to see more stuff.

thatgirl70
by Carin on May. 31, 2013 at 12:36 PM

I couldn't stand to leave my son for that long, so that right there is a deal breaker. A few days maybe, weeks? No.

lovemymini
by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd go. It's not like you are leaving him with complete strangers

baquick
by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Unless you have issues with your ex, I would try and go!
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I would go if it were financially workable, but I'd take my son with me.  My mom went to Europe for 2 weeks when I was 3 and left me with my grandparents.  I survived. 

rhiannonaisling
by on May. 31, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I would definitely want to go but I can't leave my child for more than 24 hours (he has autism and no one in our families but his father or I can deal with him for longer than that because they don't have the patience or understanding).

Thunderbug75
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I wouldnot leave my son for a month.  But he is only 6 mo old.  If he was older I might.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)