Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Day two of summer vacation and I already want to sell my kids.

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:40 PM
  • 7 Replies

Day two of summer vacation and I already want to sell my kids.  Four hours after school was out, despite a full fridge and pantry, I'm already getting "There's nothing to eat in this house!" Day 1 of summer my internal alarm clock has me awake at 4:30am, day 2 I'm up at 7 - Kids are at each other's throats by 9....

FWIW, I'm a teacher - BUT - thank goodness, NEXT week they go away to swim camp for a week.  We need the break from each other.

I love them dearly, but whew!  I can't take it if they are going to be like this all summer.  Mommy's going to have to do some serious over-planning to keep them busy!

by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Yes sounds like they need activities whether at home or at other different sites to keep busy.  I only have one dd so it isnt too bad.  She is more laid back.   School isnt out until the 18th and then that following weekend we are traveling for a family reunion.   We already enrolled her into summer reading at library.

texassahm
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM

School is out until the last week of August here - I have four kids - one is an adult.  The three youngers are 9, 11 and 16.  We are going to Schlitterbahn on Wednesday (the original Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels, TX), next weekend they have a swim meet starting on Friday, and then on Sunday they, along with my DH, leave for a week for swim camp! (DH is a swim coach there) - I'll have 5 whole days to myself! (except my 21yr old SD will be here).  Then *I* will be the bored one!

kajira
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:28 PM

I homeschool - so I'm used to it. LOL we have goats, dogs, cats, plus all sorts of other things we do on a regular basis. I highly recommend going for nature walks. We do about 2-3 miles per day, it just gets them into a structured physical routine that really helps in the summer time.

I'm assuming your's are older than mine, my oldest is 9... but we always find ways to keep him busy.

My suggestion, put a chore list o the fridge, if they get bored - tell them to pick something to do off that list. LOL 

That's what I do for my oldest... he actually will sometimes do chores just to entertain himself when he's bored with legos, or playing outside.

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:34 PM
On girl I understand.

Everyone is "yay school is out"

I'm "school needs to start"

It's the first year of school for my daughter. She's in kimdergarden.

And I've spent the last five years with her by y side.
texassahm
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I was a stay at home mom for a decade, so I'm used to planning activities to keep everyone busy - I recently went back to work and this year was my first full-time back at work (I'm a teacher).  I was so ready for summer, but I'm already feeling antsy about the school year starting again.

I just hadn't planned on keeping the kids entertained 24/7 - I figure a couple of outings per week, then the pool or splash pad should be enough.  Looks like I am going to have to plan something at least 3-4x/wk!  

They are on the year round swim team and practice starts tomorrow morning 5 days a week.  I am hoping that will wear them out, yet get their endorphins pumping early on in the day, so they are calm and in a good mood for the rest of the day.  Fingers crossed!

mattiegirl10
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I am the youngest of 13 kids and never once that I can remember did my mom plan activities for us kids to do. My parents raised us to do things on our own and if we couldn't find anything to entertain ourselves with the toys and the big yard with the swingset then they would find alot of chores for us to do.I find with my own kids that if I plan alot of things for them to do that when it comes time for them to think of something to do on there own they can't think of anything to do, maybe we do too much for our kids and we should go back to how our parents raised us and let kids think of things to do and use their imagination. Just a thought that's been going thru my mind of going back to when times where simpler and maybe not buying all the toys and being the play date planner.

texassahm
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 7:53 PM

My mom rarely planned stuff for me to do, either, but times are different now. When I was a kid, we left the house after breakfast - usually ate at a friend's house or not at all, then came home for dinner. (My mom rang a dinner bell)

You can't let your kids run free around the neighborhood these days.  I do let them ride their bikes four blocks away to the pool and then to their friends houses, but that's all.  Everything else is me taking them somewhere, like the park, the city pool, the splash pad, museum, to pick berries from the local farm, the farmer's market, etc

Quoting mattiegirl10:

I am the youngest of 13 kids and never once that I can remember did my mom plan activities for us kids to do. My parents raised us to do things on our own and if we couldn't find anything to entertain ourselves with the toys and the big yard with the swingset then they would find alot of chores for us to do.I find with my own kids that if I plan alot of things for them to do that when it comes time for them to think of something to do on there own they can't think of anything to do, maybe we do too much for our kids and we should go back to how our parents raised us and let kids think of things to do and use their imagination. Just a thought that's been going thru my mind of going back to when times where simpler and maybe not buying all the toys and being the play date planner.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)