Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

first time laying out in sun-please help

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:09 PM
  • 12 Replies
I know this sounds stupid but I've always been too scared to lay in the sun because I was afraid of getting skin cancer. I'm white as a ghost and husband is taking us to beach for 6 days so I really feel I need to lay out in the sun at home a little to get my skin ready for the beach and so this time I wont blister and burn . Could you please tell me how much time I should spend in sun each day to kinda prepare my skin. We are going on vacation July 26 so I have a while to get a little color. Thank you for being there for me :)debra anne
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RADmomma
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:11 PM
I'm no help. Sorry.

Bump
heatherhall29
by Gold Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I just use sunblock if you want a tan then get a lower SPF sunblock for your home. I would get a high SPF sunblock for the beach and just reapply every two hours. Sun burns hurt. Maybe a hour a day outside? Idk good luck
Buggy979
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:16 PM
At least 10 everyday. Make sure you our on spf/uvb 30 or higher in while doing this. .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MockingJay
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:17 PM

You can't prepare your skin. That is a myth. Wear sunblock, cover when you can, and wear a big sunhat. 

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:20 PM

This is also my understanding. Any tan is harmful to the skin.

Quoting MockingJay:

You can't prepare your skin. That is a myth. Wear sunblock, cover when you can, and wear a big sunhat. 

LEMONS
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:30 PM

THANK YOU EVERYONE:)

Kmcasey9
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I have olive-skin and don't burn, but my DH is pale and burns every time he is in the sun.  It seems to be a myth that you can "work up" your skin.  DH can be outside doing yard work, burn, peel, turn a little tan, but burn again the next time he is outside.  We have a pool, and if he does not wear sunscreen (at least 10-15 SPF) he burns throughout the summer, even if some of his previous burns have peeled and turned "golden".  His "tans" fade fairly quick (by fall, he has no evidence of having been in the sun all summer). 

My husband is a smart guy, but when it comes to suncare he is rather stupid.  He keeps hoping that he can "build up his color" so he doesn't burn.  I've been with him for almost 20 years... maybe this year is the year?  Nah, didn't think so ;)

The one thing he has started doing is visiting the dermatologist every year to have skin-checks done.  They've removed some pre-cancerous spots, so DH really needs to get smarter about sun care.

Put on good sunscreen and cherish your non-sun-damaged skin :)

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM

15 minutes a day anyhow you should be getting for vit d.  Use sunblock and a sun hat to protect your scalp.  Many forget to put sunscreen there, myself included.

Casperstalks
by on Jun. 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Fake Bake and use sunscreen. I'm Irish. I don't tan at all, ever. It's always worked for me. Just don't go too overboard on the spray.. start now so  you can get a good color worked up.

littlepinkrose
by Member on Jun. 9, 2013 at 9:03 PM

You do not need to be out in the sun.  Use a decent sunblock that is full spectrum and no higher than SPF 50 because any higher is not reliable that is what I have heard anyway.  Apply every two hours make sure it is allot like a shot glass full for your whole body.  And a tablespoon full for your face and neck.  If you see yourself getting pink then go to the shade or bring a light colored long sleeve cover up and put it on along with a wide brimmed hat.  Your best bet if you can afford one is to get a big beach umbrella that you can use when out there that way you will be shaded the whole time.  They have some good deals on Amazon sometimes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)