Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Poll

Question: To honor my late mother's birthday, I would post a picture on Facebook of me with her:

Options:

looking healthy.

looking terminally ill.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 90

View Results

What's your take?

If you have a loved one who died from a terminal illness...let's say, it's your mom, today is her birthday and you decide to post a picture of you and your mom on Facebook honoring her.

Do you choose a photo of you and your mom when she is well and healthy looking, or do you post a picture of you and your mom with her looking very sick?

by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Replies (11-20):
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 4:07 PM

I'd consider which she'd rather people remember her by, and it would be when she looked her best.

Sunshine2plus2
by Sunshine on Jun. 10, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Looking healthy

WildPowerMom
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:01 PM

If my mother died in a car accident I wouldn't post the car accident photos.  Funerals and honoring people isn't about how they died (no matter how long the struggle was).  It should be about the amazing person she was when nothing stopped her from being completely who she was in this life.  I think you should stick with the healthy, fun, happy pictures. :)

jbirdsladie27
by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Healthy, the way I'd want her to be remembered
Happy Birthday in Heaven :(
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2013 at 11:39 PM
This <3

Quoting Sassy762:

I would post the picture when she was looking healthy instead of when she was sick. 

So sorry for your loss

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lace-n-heels
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 7:48 AM

she wouldn't want people remembering her sick, if she's anything like the women I know.

Fairegirl33
by Melissa on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I would post a picture of me and my mom that reminds me of a happy time we had together...

trainlady
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I would want to remember her as happy and healthy and us sharing a wonderful moment in our lives. Take yourself back to teh good times and remember those. There is enough sadness in the world we need not dwell on it. Show how much you loved her by showing her in one of her good times.

texassahm
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Okay, y'all are pretty much exactly where I am on my thinking.  I talked to my stepdaughter about the pic she posted (and has been posting) of her mom on her birthday and other special days - I suggested she post pics that her MOM felt beautiful in or pics that my SD thought expressed the true life that she led.  I was really worried that my SD was going to take that the wrong way, but she actually warmed up to it.  She didn't change the pic she posted, but I think she is going to start looking for pics of her mom from healthier times to start posting in the future.

(Background: My SD and SS's mom died in Feb 2011 after a 3 yr battle with cancer.  SD was 19 and SS was 13 when she died.  SD is now 21, SS is now 16)

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM
My mom was extremely concerned about her appearance. Were I to post a pic of her it would be a pic she would have approved of.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)