Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My husband, daughter, and I moved here to Petersburg, VA in October of last year.  We had our son this past March.  We have a 4 year old little girl who is very bright.  We don't know anyone here.  We left our friends back in Georgia and it's been hard to adjust to new people.  My husband suggests that I make friends who have children so that my daughter may have a playmate.  I am currently homeschooling her until we decide what educational path is right for her as far as meeting her advanced needs.  She has no one to play with and her brother is only 3 months old.  It's also probably good that I have someone to hang out with besides my husband all of the time. I'm not good with making friends, but I would like for my daughter to have someone to play with.  I hate seeing her face when she sees kids on tv playing together.  We play with her, but we're a long ways from being 4. My husband works early mornings and I am a stay at home mom.  Any advice?

by on Jun. 10, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Replies (11-15):
copasetic1
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:38 AM

It's not easy for sahm's to find playmates for their children anymore, seems like most kids are in preschool. When my daughter was 4, many years ago now, we were in a semirural area with no other children around. I found a preschool that focused on play and social skills, not on learning - she already knew all the things preschools teach. I found it at the local YWCA.  She went for a few hours 3 days a week and loved it. I don't know if they have anything like that anymore. You might look into local preschools, and a lot of communities have play groups. Some have classes for little ones, dance and other things. I can really identify with you - I'm not good at making friends either. For me, it was easier to focus on finding friends for her than for me. Good luck! I read your response on another post here, the one where the person says to find Jesus. I thought you response was beautiful.

RaineyLeigh
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:54 AM

try going to momsclub.org, they have groups all over! I have no family where I live and didnt really know too many people here when my son was born. I came across an ad in the paper for momsclub and it was a real life saver for me!

Snowies
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:56 AM

no neighbourhoods?

luvmybabies1309
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 5:38 AM

Thanks! It's a great feeling to see that someone not only gives good advice,but understands as well! I like the idea of her being in preschool for a couple of hours.

Quoting copasetic1:

It's not easy for sahm's to find playmates for their children anymore, seems like most kids are in preschool. When my daughter was 4, many years ago now, we were in a semirural area with no other children around. I found a preschool that focused on play and social skills, not on learning - she already knew all the things preschools teach. I found it at the local YWCA.  She went for a few hours 3 days a week and loved it. I don't know if they have anything like that anymore. You might look into local preschools, and a lot of communities have play groups. Some have classes for little ones, dance and other things. I can really identify with you - I'm not good at making friends either. For me, it was easier to focus on finding friends for her than for me. Good luck! I read your response on another post here, the one where the person says to find Jesus. I thought you response was beautiful.

luvmybabies1309
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 5:42 AM

My neighborhood has a lot of older people who don't have small children, which is fine by me. I'm an old soul and I hate nonsense from some people around my age.  I'm new here and it really seems like people here only work.

Quoting Snowies:

no neighbourhoods?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN