Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why are so many people against this?

Posted by   + Show Post
My family is planning on donating grandpas house to a local homeless shelter. He passed away earlier this year. The shelter would then allow 1-2 families at a time (depending on size of family) to live there for a max of 60 days so they can get on their feet. One of the requirement of this home is going to be the child attends the local school (it is a way so the kids don't have to transfer schools while their families are going through this difficult time). Well the problem we are running into is the neighbors objecting to the plan and there is going to be a city counsel meeting about it. The home will be maintained by the shelter and no one with felony or violent crime backgrounds will be allowed to stay there (more city requirements). This is not a really rich neighborhood but not poor either. Houses range from 150,000-250,000, which is lower income for this school district. I just want to know if you would be against something like this in your neighborhood? If the city does decline it we will be selling the house and donating the money
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Replies (11-20):
terpmama
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I can sort of see the reluctance that the shelter won't keep it up properly but I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and then involve the hoa as needed. I can also see the fear that many people will be rolling through but the regulations seem to be set up to take care of that. 

delilahsmom1177
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I would be 100% for it. Good luck momma, it seems like you are doing a truly wonderful thing.

I'm tattooed,pagan,pro-choice,pro-legalizing marijuana,pro-gay marriage,anti-war,non-vaxing,tree hugging,animal loving,book reading,animal testing free,depression battling, trying to raise a free spirit and letting her be who she is but still teaching her important life lessons,fighting for equal rights at the same time,don't like it get over it.

SWasson
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 5:57 PM

There are always neighbors who don't want a halfway house, group home, or shelter in their neighborhoods, although once one is there, most of the neighbors would never know it.

justbereal
by Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Amazing. How sad people can't see the good in this !
natural_s
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I think that is very charitable and considered giving back to your community. Only self-centered people would find a reason to not allow that to happen.

I really hope that your plans go through, it would probably help so many people out. Bless your family for thinking of others, that is so wonderful.

babybutastink
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Maybe they should re-think their attitudes about the generousity you are showing people who are trying to get back on their feet.  They should try and put themselves in their position.  Shame they cant see the good you are trying to do......

tennisgal
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes, honestly. I think it's admirable...but not next door to me. There is a stigma attached (not necessarily without reason sometimes) and I wouldn't want the constant flow of people in and out, never getting to know your neighbor. It would make me nervous. 

SissyAnn141
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Quoting natural_s:

I think that is very charitable and considered giving back to your community. Only self-centered people would find a reason to not allow that to happen.

I really hope that your plans go through, it would probably help so many people out. Bless your family for thinking of others, that is so wonderful.

That is so GREAT of you, I hope things will work out ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥....

"Clickable to group"

lovelikethis721
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:05 AM
I would definitely support it if something like that came up in my neighborhood and would even look into volunteering
Lovemamas
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Your family is amazing! Your neighborhood is so blessed to have people like you :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN