Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why are so many people against this?

Posted by   + Show Post
My family is planning on donating grandpas house to a local homeless shelter. He passed away earlier this year. The shelter would then allow 1-2 families at a time (depending on size of family) to live there for a max of 60 days so they can get on their feet. One of the requirement of this home is going to be the child attends the local school (it is a way so the kids don't have to transfer schools while their families are going through this difficult time). Well the problem we are running into is the neighbors objecting to the plan and there is going to be a city counsel meeting about it. The home will be maintained by the shelter and no one with felony or violent crime backgrounds will be allowed to stay there (more city requirements). This is not a really rich neighborhood but not poor either. Houses range from 150,000-250,000, which is lower income for this school district. I just want to know if you would be against something like this in your neighborhood? If the city does decline it we will be selling the house and donating the money
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Replies (21-30):
taKENheart
by Flovely on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I wouldn't care unless they were unruly neighbors.  You are talking about one donated home in a pretty well off neighborhood.  The well off seem to brag about donations but only if it isn't happening in their neighborhood. 
So if you do it will they protest?  Go to court? LOL let them try!  Good job!  I love it!

crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 1:20 AM
I think that people are expecting to see "low class" individuals (like section 8's) in there.
Right now people are struggling with property values and they are thinking this will affect the value of their homes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:19 AM

I think it is a great idea.  Is it a family friendly neighborhood?

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:24 AM
Considering I've been homeless of recent, I lived in an actual apt with the same rules. It really is a great program/ idea. I would see if there was a mom with kids who is homeless willing to talk about how the house would be very helpful. Hope it happens, I really really do.
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa :) on Jun. 12, 2013 at 2:28 AM

i think that's awesome what you guys are doing!! i would have no problem with that in my area.

maxswolfsuit
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:25 AM

I wouldn't want one in my neighborhood and it has nothing to do with being a snob. 

Having a house in the neighborhood with a revolving door of different families is an issue. Who will maintain the house? Who will ensure the residents respect the property? 

When homeowners or long term renters live in a neighborhood they take better care of things and respect each other. Temporary housing just isn't treated the same way. 

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 5:58 AM

Key words are "homeless" and "shelter"....if you called it "temporary family housing" managed by a nonprofit..you might get away with it.

It's all in the wording....most people these days don't care about the content, just how pleasing to the ear the title is.

Good luck, I hope it works

JustBreath2013
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:25 AM
Sounds great to me! Awesome choice imo...you are good people
LuvMommysBabies
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:19 AM
No that's a really good thing it sounds like.
TheMrs407
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:23 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it's probably the stigma of a homeless person and all. Im sure they are worried about new people in and out every couple of months and it may also make the value of their homes go down.

Side note:a school cannot refuse a homeless child. They have no address. They can go wherever they are capable of going. There are forms that have to be filled out though.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)