Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why are so many people against this?

Posted by   + Show Post
My family is planning on donating grandpas house to a local homeless shelter. He passed away earlier this year. The shelter would then allow 1-2 families at a time (depending on size of family) to live there for a max of 60 days so they can get on their feet. One of the requirement of this home is going to be the child attends the local school (it is a way so the kids don't have to transfer schools while their families are going through this difficult time). Well the problem we are running into is the neighbors objecting to the plan and there is going to be a city counsel meeting about it. The home will be maintained by the shelter and no one with felony or violent crime backgrounds will be allowed to stay there (more city requirements). This is not a really rich neighborhood but not poor either. Houses range from 150,000-250,000, which is lower income for this school district. I just want to know if you would be against something like this in your neighborhood? If the city does decline it we will be selling the house and donating the money
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Replies (41-50):
mrskathleen
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:17 PM

what a  nice idea!! but the neighbors are  worried that  the familys would not take care of the house or become bad examples in some way,, they want a perminent ppl in their neighborhood   but that is a wonderful idea  mrs kathleen

mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 4:41 PM

People have just become soooo apathetic and hateful......Very Sad !

GaleJ
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 5:53 PM

While I want to be generous of spirit and say that I can understand from where some of the objections might spring, I am having trouble with it. This sounds like a wonderful plan and assuming the shelter that will be in charge is fully functional, efficient, and appropriately staffed I can't understand the problem. I would welcome such a resource into our community and would want to welcome the temporary neighbors as well.

I still vividly remember my son's reaction all those years ago when his middle school class volunteered at our local P.A.D.S. shelter and he came face to face with a girl his age while serving dinner. He came home and was very, very quiet and after a time I asked what was bothering him. He said that while he understood the idea of homelessness and that was prepared to deal with it he hadn't thought of someone his age and that he had a hard time dealing with that. It brought a lump to my throat and over the two years that he worked at the shelter he never forgot that first time and the discomfort it brought to his sense of how the world should be.

We need to start dealing with the homelessness and to those that are worried about their own narrow concerns please try to see beyond that to the idea that families sometimes need a little help. 

Tipsen
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Yes in this school district. We live in the same school district. Our home was purchased as a foreclosure at 212,000. It is valued closer to 300,000. We have several million plus dollar homes in our "city"/suburb. A one bedroom apartment (cheaper one) goes for $900-1,000 per month here (I lived in the cheapest I could find before having kids and it was $850, almost 5 years ago

Quoting Fairegirl33:

if the shelter does indeed hold tight to those criteria, I would have no problem.

wow $150-$200K homes is low income in that area ?

mjande4
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM

This. As generous as your idea is, it will negatively affect other people's lives.  A home is generally the single largest financial investment that people make in their lifetime and what you are proposing will automatically drop the value of their investment.  I would be angry too.  Truthfully, I live in an HOA for this very reason.

Quoting Bonita131:

Whichever way you look at it, opening a shelter in anyone's neighborhood will bring property values down. It would have been wiser to sell the house and donate the money to a specific shelter, or use the money to build a shelter away from populated neighborhoods. You'll always have people objecting/protesting shelters wanting to open nearby, and you'll always have hotly debated city council meetings when you try to turn a single dwelling home into a multiple dwelling home/shelter.  

fivegirls333
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:50 PM

they are just nervous and coming from a place of fear.  i think the meeting is a good idea.  i think once they understand a little more, they will be fine.  they are just worried it will bring down the home value of the neighborhood.  i hope it works out...there by the grace of God go i...it just might be them someday.

1boy1girlmama
by *Sarcasm Speaks* on Jun. 12, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I wouldn't want that in my neighborhood because it would bring my property value down and make it hard for my house to sell. If anything I would sell the house and donate the money to women's home to help add on rooms or something.

shoot4thestars
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:35 PM

It wouldn't bother me at all.  You're good people for doing what you're doing.  Hope everything works out for yuo.

onethentwins
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:47 PM

No I would not be against it.  People just think "not in my back yard".

TableforSeven
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 10:37 PM

If this house was in my neighborhood, I would attend the city counsel meeting and speak out against it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN