Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why are so many people against this?

Posted by   + Show Post
My family is planning on donating grandpas house to a local homeless shelter. He passed away earlier this year. The shelter would then allow 1-2 families at a time (depending on size of family) to live there for a max of 60 days so they can get on their feet. One of the requirement of this home is going to be the child attends the local school (it is a way so the kids don't have to transfer schools while their families are going through this difficult time). Well the problem we are running into is the neighbors objecting to the plan and there is going to be a city counsel meeting about it. The home will be maintained by the shelter and no one with felony or violent crime backgrounds will be allowed to stay there (more city requirements). This is not a really rich neighborhood but not poor either. Houses range from 150,000-250,000, which is lower income for this school district. I just want to know if you would be against something like this in your neighborhood? If the city does decline it we will be selling the house and donating the money
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Replies (61-65):
EricksMom30
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:47 PM

First and foremost, I applaud your family for such a selfless act. Its obvious not all ppl are so thoughtful. I am in need of transitional housing myself, and theres none to be found here in FL where I live. The neighbors should mind their business. Property values increase and decrease REGARDLESS of whether or not there's a change in a residential ordinance code. Ppl using that excuse...give me a break!  Maybe if they were on the receiving end of those much needed services, they would have a difference of opinion. I hope they take thier nses out of the air long enough to realize that this will HELP GOOD PEOPLE temporarily until they can get on their feet....I hope everything works out.

nerdymom28
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:49 PM

No, I think it's a really great idea.

mama23brie
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 1:56 PM
As someone who has struggled with being homeless in the past, i think this is a wonderful idea. And as long as pedophiles or violent criminals aren't moving in i don't see why other people would have a problem with it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM

60 days with people following rules should be fine. once you get the rules out to people around they might open up to it. If it were them needing help they would not be objecting ha. if it doesn't look like a dump and the people are not criminals {that they know of} it's a lot better.

strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I am not sure I'd donate the $ from a sale. unless that is what dad wanted. He worked ahrd to pay for that home and i would do something for my kids with the $. nothing WRONG with donating but it could sure put your kids in a better position with college if u start the fund now and let interest build.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN