Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is This Little Boy's Hair Too Girly?

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:50 PM
  • 92 Replies
1 mom liked this

Rachel Zoe's Son Is Getting Flack for His 'Girly' Hair

by Sarah Bernard

Uberstylist Rachel Zoe often posts photos of her 2-year-old son Skyler on Instagram. "Talk about bed head! xoRZ" was the caption for this latest shot, which showcases his amazing saucer eyes as well as his now trademark fluffy curls.

Pretty undeniably adorable, right?

Well, not to everyone. For reasons I don't quite get, this particular snapshot has inspired some pretty hostile comments.

From the mild, "STOP MAKING YOUR BOY LOOK LIKE A GIRL" to the downright offensive, "Omfg are you nuts? Cut your kids hair you retard!"

First of all, whatever you think of Rachel Zoe's talent/show/persona/ clothing, why insult a little kid? Second of all, when did the world of little boy hair get so conservative?

More from The Stir: Little Girl's Adorable 'Pink Stuff' Rant Should Be Lesson to Adults (VIDEO)

It used to be that boys had army-style buzz cuts. Now that only happens in my kids' school if there's a lice outbreak! Pretty much all the boys in grade school have some version of what would be called "long hair" if we were living in the 1950s. From shags to Bieber-esque side swipes to tresses you could easily put up in a ponytail.

Still, there's something about gender-bending hairstyles that gets a reaction from people -- old and young -- even in this day in age.

Last week, a little boy in my daugther's first grade class came to school with the front of his hair pulled into one of those high ponytails a la David Beckham.

The kid was wearing skinny jeans and a t-shirt and, I thought, looked pretty darn cool. Other boys in the class did not agree. He got teased and questioned and teased some more until my daughter -- a fan of ponytails -- told him that she thought he looked great and was "very brave."

What?! Since when is a ponytail brave? These are kids who are being brought up in a world where plenty of their friends have two daddies or two mommies, where many dads stay home and many moms win the bread, where antiquated notions of gender roles seemed firmly, securely in the past. But the hair! The hair is what gets them.

The next day, quite impressively, the little boy brought the ponytail back. And nobody said anything.

What do you think of little boys with "girly" haircuts?

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Its not for me but its not my place to judge other parents who chose to let their boys have longer hair. 

PumpkinSpice8
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:23 PM
The toy in the background makes it appear as if he has a hair bow upon first glance... Which makes it worse than it really is.
kzuehlk
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:26 PM
My son didn't get his first hair cut until he was almost 2. He was a baldie for a long time, but it eventualy got almost long enough to put in a pony tail. His dad finally cut it one day when the tangles got mixed with a piece of candy lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovemyirish
by Gold Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this
My thoughts are, not my kid, not my concern. If he likes it, why question it. Why is his hair any of those other womens concern?
SeymoreButts
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Every time I. See her son I do think that he is extremely girly. But whatever
periwinkle163
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:37 PM
4 moms liked this

My son wouldn't have that hairstyle, but I don't care if other boys do. I do find it funny when moms who choose the longer styles like that get angry when their sons are mistaken for girls though.

codfish
by Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this
My now 6 year old sons hair lookes exactly like her sons, only pale blond. He has huge blue eyes also. I got so fed up with the nasty "he looks like a girl" comments. My in-laws were especially hateful. I think people are just jealous that their sons aren't as cute.

Quoting Cafe Robin:

Rachel Zoe's Son Is Getting Flack for His 'Girly' Hair

by Sarah Bernard

Uberstylist Rachel Zoe often posts photos of her 2-year-old son Skyler on Instagram. "Talk about bed head! xoRZ" was the caption for this latest shot, which showcases his amazing saucer eyes as well as his now trademark fluffy curls.

Pretty undeniably adorable, right?

Well, not to everyone. For reasons I don't quite get, this particular snapshot has inspired some pretty hostile comments.

From the mild, "STOP MAKING YOUR BOY LOOK LIKE A GIRL" to the downright offensive, "Omfg are you nuts? Cut your kids hair you retard!"

First of all, whatever you think of Rachel Zoe's talent/show/persona/ clothing, why insult a little kid? Second of all, when did the world of little boy hair get so conservative?

More from The Stir: Little Girl's Adorable 'Pink Stuff' Rant Should Be Lesson to Adults (VIDEO)

It used to be that boys had army-style buzz cuts. Now that only happens in my kids' school if there's a lice outbreak! Pretty much all the boys in grade school have some version of what would be called "long hair" if we were living in the 1950s. From shags to Bieber-esque side swipes to tresses you could easily put up in a ponytail.

Still, there's something about gender-bending hairstyles that gets a reaction from people -- old and young -- even in this day in age.

Last week, a little boy in my daugther's first grade class came to school with the front of his hair pulled into one of those high ponytails a la David Beckham.

The kid was wearing skinny jeans and a t-shirt and, I thought, looked pretty darn cool. Other boys in the class did not agree. He got teased and questioned and teased some more until my daughter -- a fan of ponytails -- told him that she thought he looked great and was "very brave."

What?! Since when is a ponytail brave? These are kids who are being brought up in a world where plenty of their friends have two daddies or two mommies, where many dads stay home and many moms win the bread, where antiquated notions of gender roles seemed firmly, securely in the past. But the hair! The hair is what gets them.

The next day, quite impressively, the little boy brought the ponytail back. And nobody said anything.

What do you think of little boys with "girly" haircuts?

mjande4
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly. WTH did they think would happen!?

Quoting periwinkle163:

My son wouldn't have that hairstyle, but I don't care if other boys do. I do find it funny when moms who choose the longer styles like that get angry when their sons are mistaken for girls though.

MamaRae85
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't really mind when other peoples' sons have long hair, though it's not my own preference.

The only thing I have an issue with is when the parent gets rude when it's assumed that the child is a girl.

lilblu399
by Tamika on Jun. 12, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
He looks like that snowboarder.
Also what makes something 'girly'?
Having long, curly hair? No.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN