Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

we went to disney LAND a couple of years ago and im itching for a disney fix already!  i want to take the kids to disney world.. how many days should i plan on being there? and whats a good amount of $$ save up.. i roughly did an estimate thing with 6 days at one of the cheaper resorts, round trip flights (we are from texas), a meal plan and 4(or 5 i dont remember) and it came out to about $10,000! and thats not even including spending money!

by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Replies (11-20):
DSamuels
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:54 AM
We have done it both ways. The first time we stayed off-site and no meal plan and the second time we stayed on-site with the meal plan. I would do on-site with the meal plan again. We ate very well and had snacks left over we stocked up on our last day. You don't always want to leave the park to go eat, and it's not going to be a lot cheaper unless you eat fast food all the time.

They do run specials where you get the meal plan for free different times during the year. Look for those. I think we had the one with 2 meals and a snack per day. We did breakfast, snack and early dinner some days, and early lunch, and either snack and late dinner or dinner and snack later on other days. You get drink, entree and dessert or appetizer. We had 4 adults and 3 children, but only one was over 2, so between us all we got a lot of food.

Quoting ditsyjo:

yikes.... first of all I would skip the meal plan and plan to eat no more than one meal a day in the parks... even the resteruants just outside the gates should be much cheaper... and do you really hve to stay at one of the resorts or would a standard hotel do? they tent to be considerably cheaper as well... but no matter how well you budget disney world will cost  quite a bit.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I agree about not going to a park on the day you leave. I schedule early flights out and just finish packing in the morning and leave.  I figure if I know I have to leave later in the day, along with checking out of the hotel early, that I wouldn't enjoy being in the park that day anyway.

Quoting haylemoon:

We did a trip back in april...bought the tickets in Dec.  our total was about 6,000 with flight and such...that was 2 adults, 3 kids and 1 infant.  We did the deluxe dining and stayed at Port Orleans Riverside.  We did 5 nights and 6 days...the only thing we would change..is not going to the park on the day you leave...It was way too crazy...We loved having a dining plan..We ate one meal at the park..it was 83.00 for hotdogs..The meal plan saved  us a ton.  We also did a few of the character dining.  Loved Cinderella's Royal Table, not so big on disney jr. Hollywood and vine.

mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
We were there June 1-6. We did not stay in a resort. We used hotel points and stayed at the Hilton at Downtown Disney and paid a whopping $103 for 5 nights just for parking and incidentals. My mother was able to get the kids' hopper passes at the resident rate for 4 days for $350. We ate breakfast at the hotel and then lunch at the parks as well as either ice cream or dinner those days. We spent about $800 total between gas, hotel,food and souvenirs.. if we had not already had hoppers for us and used points for the hotel we would have easily spent $3-4K if not more. DW is not cheap, but my girls LOVED it as they had no idea and we surprised them with the trip.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
haylemoon
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband just told me if you are doing the dining plan...to stay at a mid-level resort, like port orleans, because it is actually cheaper than the lower level resorts.

spunky946
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Make sure you take out the extras. When are you going? You can also look under the special offers tab to get the discounts. Of call a travel agent who specializes in Disney.
Fordprefect
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Wow. That's much higher than I've ever priced it for. We haven't been, but I've been looking into it and I want to stay in the Pop Century resort. It is the one that fits what I want the most, and it's one of the lower priced places. I think maybe you should go to the disney website and chat with one of the employees.

KellBell0820
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 3:07 PM
This. I planned out a week long trip for me and daughter and it came to like 1200-1500. And that was including one of the Disney world hotels. I also started looking almost a year ahead of time though, so I'm guessing that lowered prices too.

Quoting Sweetest_Britt:

I would call a travel agent, I think you may be entering things you don't need!

It costs $3800 for my family of 5(not including air fare) to go!

Cafe Robin
by Group Owner on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Disney is definitely expensive but you could save some money. 

I stopped getting the dining plan a few years ago.  Having it made us eat more - dessert is included with meals, for example. We also always had extra point left for snacks at the end so I'd end up getting snacks that we didn't really want just to use up the points we paid for.  The meal plan can be added to your package up to 3 days before your trip so you can wait and see where you plan to eat, which restaurants you make reservations for - and then check the menus and prices on allears.net to see how much the meals will cost.

Here is a helpful posts for planning your trip:
Disney Deals & Info! Special Offers, Menus, Schedules, Crowd Calendar...and More!

Check the link for special offers Disney is running (they may not be listed for your dates yet but they usually run special offers (I find the best deals right through Disney - not a travel agent as they have the same costs):  http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/special-offers/

Here's that link for the menus:  http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm

You can call or go online to price out your trip - just make sure you ask about the special offers or click on special offer before pricing out your dates at various resorts: 
Disney World:
1-407-W-DISNEY or check prices with
Disney online (Be sure to check for special offers 1st)

Here's another post on our Disney group with tips and info on resorts and dining:
Disney Planning! Share Your Tips.... Favorite Restaurants and Resorts! (links included)

You'll have a ball! 

LAXmom21
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:17 PM

That's what I spent with food not including spending money, (no meal plan).

Grenadian
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:04 PM
I am from Texas and I am in Florida now.....I spent $131 for my tickets and it is like 6 of us and I used my military discount to pay for the hotel room..we ended up paying 495.00 for the room because I used d militay MWR to book...we are staying at Buena Vista Suites....they give you complimentary breakfast which is a plus... Also..you might want to walk with food and water which would help you save a little money.....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)