Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

FAMILY BDAY PARTY/ SPOILED CHILD QUESTION

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:10 PM
  • 111 Replies
Lets say your child and his/ her cousin, who we will call Sue, who were born just a few weeks apart, are turning 7, and due to family schedules you have decided to give them a joint bday party..Now, your child has been asking for p specific gift for a few years now, and they are finally big enough for it, so you got them that gift.Now little Sue is a very spoiled child, and at every Christmas, bday, Easter, even mothers day, she throws a fit if someone gets a gift she likes. You know Sue is not ready for what you got your child, so you get her a nice gift also.. Do you give your child that special gift at that bday party, knowing it could cause one of Sues epic meltdowns, or do you wait and give it to your child at a later time, knowing Sues parents will buy her a nice expensive gift and buy your child a pez dispenser and a single tub of play dough, which is what they got your 3 and 4 year olds on their bdays..What would you do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:25 PM
3 moms liked this

I personally save all big gifts for private at home exchanges regardless of other peoples reactions to said gifts.  That is just how i am, very private.   If i wanted to give it to her at the party then i would, I can not take any responsibility for how any other child acts.

lismore
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:27 PM
2 moms liked this
I would give it to him at his birthday. It's his party too. It's not your fault that sue is spoiled. Let her parents deal with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spunky946
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Why are you opening presents at the party?
pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Heck spoiled child has to learn they can't have everything they want  Give that special gift to your child at the part.  

blondie.mom
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Yup, this for sure

Quoting lismore:

I would give it to him at his birthday. It's his party too. It's not your fault that sue is spoiled. Let her parents deal with it.
blondie.mom
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:32 PM
4 moms liked this
Isn't that what normally happens at children's birthday parties?

Quoting spunky946:

Cafe Robin
by Group Owner on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:41 PM

No, kids don't usually open gifts at their bday parties. 

Quoting blondie.mom:

Quoting spunky946:

Cafe Robin
by Group Owner on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM

I'd give your child the gift at home. You probably want your child to hang out and play with the people at the party anyway - not get all engaged with the new toy. If the party is the actual day of the bday, maybe give your child the gift before of after the party. 

lenashark
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM
4 moms liked this

We never open gifts at the party, creates too much of a contest of who got the best present and can cause embaressment to those who couldn't afford to give much, so I really don't know. If you know it would cause a fuss, I would wait or give it beforehand, in private. 

blondie.mom
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Really? When I was a kid I always opened my presents at my parties, and I always have my kids do it too.......now I'm wondering if other people thought I was being rude....

Quoting Cafe Robin:

No, kids don't usually open gifts at their bday parties. 

Quoting blondie.mom:

Quoting spunky946:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)