Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

A question for Native Americans........ Why do they get angry with me?!?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:51 PM
  • 38 Replies

Why do other Native Americans get angry with me when they ask what tribe my family is related to. My mother is 1/2 cherokee Indian... That makes me at least 1/4 ... some of her sisters and cousins married into the chikasaw and blackfoots..... so we all have Native of some kind. 

But I find when I talk to the local Navajo and Apaches here on the local RES... when they ask (because I look seriously white/european) what tribe and I say Cherokee they become angry, and even a couple times before I could even answer I was told to don't even say Cherokee... so I didn't say anything cause I didn't know what to say.... what does it matter what tribe we came from? Or does it? I admit I wasn't exactly raised in that culture and I ammuch of an outsider. Anyone care to help me out here?

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 5:02 PM
3 moms liked this

Probably because EVERYONE says that they're Cherokee.  Maybe next time you should just say what you said here... you are 1/4 cherokee from your mother's side.

busymomma75
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 5:50 PM
2 moms liked this

It is the biggest joke on every Rez  when someone says they are part Cherokee, cause soon as you say your native to someone (I'm Mohawk) everyone instantly says oh my great great grandmother on my fathers/mothers side was cherokee.....Just to say they have native in them!!!

2.b.con.10.Ud
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:37 PM
I thought it was because Cherokees started to marry white Europeans. I've also heard that if you're a traitor of another tribe, you are dubbed Cherokee. I don't know, maybe they're considered traitors?
2.b.con.10.Ud
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Why is it the biggest joke? Cherokee people can't say they're Cherokee, but others CAN say they're from another tribe?
Why can't they relate?

Quoting busymomma75:

It is the biggest joke on every Rez  when someone says they are part Cherokee, cause soon as you say your native to someone (I'm Mohawk) everyone instantly says oh my great great grandmother on my fathers/mothers side was cherokee.....Just to say they have native in them!!!

Supervane
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe your people were at war with their people....???

Jk

I wouldn't know why
Supervane
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Oooooo now that puts it in perspective

Quoting busymomma75:

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I dont say anything.

Im cherokee, not that much, but i hve it in me because my moms dad was half.

Its no ones business.
busymomma75
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Because EVERYONE has Cherokee in them!!! hahaha you can talk to someone and you talk heritage and as soon as they know your background all of a sudden they have cherokee!!! Even famous actors and comedians use it in their jokes!!! If she looks white and never grew up cherokee or knowing the background and comes out and says she is, the people don't want to hear it cause they heard it all already and are probably just fed up!

Quoting 2.b.con.10.Ud:

Why is it the biggest joke? Cherokee people can't say they're Cherokee, but others CAN say they're from another tribe?
Why can't they relate?

Quoting busymomma75:

2.b.con.10.Ud
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:04 PM
It's sad that it's a "joke", maybe people bring it up because they think they have something in common or like I said, relate?
Some of the earliest Cherokees had "white" skin.

Quoting busymomma75: Because EVERYONE has Cherokee in them!!! hahaha you can talk to someone and you talk heritage and as soon as they know your background all of a sudden they have cherokee!!! Even famous actors and comedians use it in their jokes!!! If she looks white and never grew up cherokee or knowing the background and comes out and says she is, the people don't want to hear it cause they heard it all already and are probably just fed up!
Quoting 2.b.con.10.Ud:Why is it the biggest joke? Cherokee people can't say they're Cherokee, but others CAN say they're from another tribe?Why can't they relate?
Quoting busymomma75:

a06z08mama
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know. I am a part Blackfoot from one of my great grandpas marrying a Blackfoot. But I am like 1/16 or something. I'm more German and Irish from sides
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)