Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Has anyone here took zoloft while pregnant?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:51 PM
  • 15 Replies
Im thinking about going on a low dose (25mg) of zoloft for depression. Its getting way out of hand to the point to where i feel like i could snap at my two year old and hurt him. I tried so hard not to take meds and to give my child a chance at not having meds in his system but now im concerned about myself and my other child. Something has to be done. Will the baby still go through withdrawls even when im on a low dose? I just dont want my baby suffering when.he comes out. Im 28 weeks. My doctor already gave me the ok and she said it was.safe. The only thing that stops me is the withdrawls. I dont know what to do.
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kenleespice
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM

If been on Zoloft for at least 10 years.with dd I stoped taking it and is was a nightmare.I went back on it the day after I delivered her.lol then a couple years later I got pregnant with ds .my Dr achully told  me to stay on it lol I did have it reduced to 25mg.though.I took it for the whole pregnancy.ds came out fine.if mom is stressed out baby will be to.

lifeglow
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Did your ds have withdrawls after he was born?

Quoting kenleespice:

If been on Zoloft for at least 10 years.with dd I stoped taking it and is was a nightmare.I went back on it the day after I delivered her.lol then a couple years later I got pregnant with ds .my Dr achully told  me to stay on it lol I did have it reduced to 25mg.though.I took it for the whole pregnancy.ds came out fine.if mom is stressed out baby will be to.

dab52776
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:17 PM
I also have been on Zoloft for years and continued throughout both of my pregnancies. I do not think it had any effect on my children.
SandyLaxner
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I took Lexapro-which is an SSRI which is the same family of drugs a sZoloft.  Throughout the pregnancy,before and after.  My son was so "colicky"when he was born,he cried and flailed his limbs for 12 hour straight when we got him hom from the hospital.  he'd drink 1 oz and sleep 1 hour and repeat for months.  Reflux?  he'd arch his back and scream when fed.  He is 6 now and i swear it was withdrawl,but pdoc and OB Doc OK'd the lexapro during my pregnancy bc depression could cause me not to take care of myself.  Pedi afterwards,even ER Dr when he would not stop screaming,said it was not withdrawl bc the med did not pass thru to the baby in utero.  I jus think it had to.  at age 2,he was diagnosed w/Autism,and there is now a link between autism diagnosis in children whose Mom's took SSR's during pregnancy.  So!  My experience.  Yours,to be decided between you,your husband and dr.  GL!

lifeglow
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:44 PM
My doc told me it did cross the placenta.

Quoting SandyLaxner:

I took Lexapro-which is an SSRI which is the same family of drugs a sZoloft.  Throughout the pregnancy,before and after.  My son was so "colicky"when he was born,he cried and flailed his limbs for 12 hour straight when we got him hom from the hospital.  he'd drink 1 oz and sleep 1 hour and repeat for months.  Reflux?  he'd arch his back and scream when fed.  He is 6 now and i swear it was withdrawl,but pdoc and OB Doc OK'd the lexapro during my pregnancy bc depression could cause me not to take care of myself.  Pedi afterwards,even ER Dr when he would not stop screaming,said it was not withdrawl bc the med did not pass thru to the baby in utero.  I jus think it had to.  at age 2,he was diagnosed w/Autism,and there is now a link between autism diagnosis in children whose Mom's took SSR's during pregnancy.  So!  My experience.  Yours,to be decided between you,your husband and dr.  GL!

kenleespice
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM

My son was also very whiny.achully at 4 he still is lol.he is also being tested for autism.but I can't say it's from that.as my teen dd has severe autism and I wasn't on it with her.also we had genetic testing done and we both have extra of the 17 gene.also mental illness runs in our family.I am Gona get genetic test done for ds to.but I won't discount the Zoloft as a cause.but I'm doubtful it causes ds.as I'm also autistic .and I think it can run in family's.also I noticed after ds shots he got worse.but that's another post I guess

Quoting SandyLaxner:

kenleespice
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:50 AM

He was whiny.

Quoting lifeglow:

Quoting kenleespice:

lifeglow
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:10 PM
Do you think it would hurt if i randomly took the zoloft in a very small dose when.i need them, lets say meltdowns etc? My doc said it was ok to take them but i dont want to. I dont think taking them occasionally would hurt anything do u?

Quoting kenleespice:

He was whiny.

Quoting lifeglow:

Quoting kenleespice:

kenleespice
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 1:36 PM

idk I think it would be better to just take same dose or not at all.I know I feel better if I take it each day.

Quoting lifeglow:

Do you think it would hurt if i randomly took the zoloft in a very small dose when.i need them, lets say meltdowns etc? My doc said it was ok to take them but i dont want to. I dont think taking them occasionally would hurt anything do u?

Quoting kenleespice:

He was whiny.

Quoting lifeglow:

Quoting kenleespice:

SandyLaxner
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Quoting kenleespice:

My son was also very whiny.achully at 4 he still is lol.he is also being tested for autism.but I can't say it's from that.as my teen dd has severe autism and I wasn't on it with her.also we had genetic testing done and we both have extra of the 17 gene.also mental illness runs in our family.I am Gona get genetic test done for ds to.but I won't discount the Zoloft as a cause.but I'm doubtful it causes ds.as I'm also autistic .and I think it can run in family's.also I noticed after ds shots he got worse.but that's another post I guess

Quoting SandyLaxner:

Yeah,I'd never advise anyone to take it or not take it. We are involved in a lawsuit against the manufacturer of Lexapro-saw it in an Autism journal,linking Autism w/SSRI use during pregnancy,so the thought is out there that the drug co's did not emphasize enough the dangers to babies born from Moms taking SSRI's during pregnancy. DS had all the chromosome tests at age 2 and all were normal,so.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)