Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Poll

Question: Do you? And where do you live?

Options:

Western Region-Open at party

Western Region-Open private

Midwestern Region-Open at party

Midwestern Region -Open private

Southern Region-Open at party

Southern Region- Open private

Northeastern Region- open at party

Northeastern Region-open private

Canada-open at party

Canada-open private

Other-open at party

Other-open private

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 44

View Results

Ok so birthday parties. 

Aparently there is a population of people who do NOT Open gifts at the birthday party. 

And the other half of the population, are confused by this lol. 

So I was thinking, is it a regional thing? 

So, Look at the map. 

And go by which state you grew up in and/or spend the MOST OF YOUR LIFE in. Where do your values lie. ETC. 

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:13 AM
Replies (11-20):
cjsix
by faith on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:13 AM

It's rude to not open the gifts at a party. gift

jomami
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Do you really think any of the kids care?  Look, she got another gift card! Yeah for Sally!

Quoting cjsix:

goldilocksbecky
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Region might be a factor, but I think it has more to do with the "kind" of area where you live.  If you live in a more traditional area (rural, small town, etc) then people are more likely to do things in a "traditional" manner (AKA, open gifts at the party).  If you live in an area where the climate is more "trendy" or "yuppy/soccermom" or "crunchy", then your social group might have more people on board with contemporary parenting trends, including things like not opening gifts at the party. 

I know that's very true around here.  The rural to small town areas have one cultural climate (think Duck Dynasty).  The nearest big city (about an hour away) has a much more trendy, upscale, urban, metro feel too it and some of the nearby mountain cities have an extremely crunchy, artsy culture.  They are all in the "Southern Region" by your map, but would likely have very different responses to this and many other questions.

jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:18 AM
I grew up in the western region. We always opened presents at the birthday party.
cjsix
by faith on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Gift cards are boring and show no thought was given as to what the recipent would enjoy!

Quoting jomami:

Do you really think any of the kids care?  Look, she got another gift card! Yeah for Sally!

Quoting cjsix:

nazgor
by Ruby Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:22 AM
it's so boring for the other kids, though. sitting still and watching. just my opinion.

we do send thank you cards with specifics.

Quoting cjsix:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jomami
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:25 AM

When kids get older, they really don't need all sorts of things. They don't want toys anymore.

Quoting cjsix:

Gift cards are boring and show no thought was given as to what the recipent would enjoy!

Quoting jomami:

Quoting cjsix:

RADmomma
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Bump
cjsix
by faith on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Gifts don't have to just be toys....as I said,you should give some thought as to what the gift recipent(reguardless of age) might enjoy. My kids have gotten art kits of various kinds,books that they wanted,videos they were looking forward to...such as Cars,Monsters Inc,Despicable Me,board games,etc....this is in the past few years. They are now 10,14 and 18.

Quoting jomami:

When kids get older, they really don't need all sorts of things. They don't want toys anymore.

Quoting cjsix:

Quoting jomami:

Quoting cjsix:

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:59 AM
I came from the Western us but haves lived in northeast 20+ yrs. We first saw this in the northeast, kids at event parties didn't open gifts because there was no time. I haven't been to a party once in the last 20 yrs where kids opened gifts in front of guests.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN