Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Poll

Question: Do you? And where do you live?

Options:

Western Region-Open at party

Western Region-Open private

Midwestern Region-Open at party

Midwestern Region -Open private

Southern Region-Open at party

Southern Region- Open private

Northeastern Region- open at party

Northeastern Region-open private

Canada-open at party

Canada-open private

Other-open at party

Other-open private

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 44

View Results

Ok so birthday parties. 

Aparently there is a population of people who do NOT Open gifts at the birthday party. 

And the other half of the population, are confused by this lol. 

So I was thinking, is it a regional thing? 

So, Look at the map. 

And go by which state you grew up in and/or spend the MOST OF YOUR LIFE in. Where do your values lie. ETC. 

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 3:13 AM
Replies (21-26):
Fairegirl33
by Melissa on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Northeast --- open at the birthday party

do11face
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I live in Texas.

We open at the party. I think it's odd not to.

jomami
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM

My kids wouldn't be happy to open any of those gifts so it may not be fun for the giver to see their reaction when opening the gifts. Maybe they just have too much stuff.  It's around the age of 8 that they didn't really need any more 'stuff'.

My kids are more excited to hang out with their friends and play.  That's the biggest gift of all for them.  Of course, we send thank you notes right away thanking each kid for coming to the party and for the specific gift they gave them. :)

Quoting cjsix:

Gifts don't have to just be toys....as I said,you should give some thought as to what the gift recipent(reguardless of age) might enjoy. My kids have gotten art kits of various kinds,books that they wanted,videos they were looking forward to...such as Cars,Monsters Inc,Despicable Me,board games,etc....this is in the past few years. They are now 10,14 and 18.

Quoting jomami:

When kids get older, they really don't need all sorts of things. They don't want toys anymore.

Quoting cjsix:

Gift cards are boring and show no thought was given as to what the recipent would enjoy!

Quoting jomami:

Do you really think any of the kids care?  Look, she got another gift card! Yeah for Sally!

Quoting cjsix:

It's rude to not open the gifts at a party. gift

bec94
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm thinking it's because parties are being held at party places and there's a time limit. Kids want to play, not sit in a room for 30 minutes while their friend opens gifts.
jomami
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:05 AM

That's exactly the situation here!

Quoting calsmom62:

I came from the Western us but haves lived in northeast 20+ yrs. We first saw this in the northeast, kids at event parties didn't open gifts because there was no time. I haven't been to a party once in the last 20 yrs where kids opened gifts in front of guests.

squocket
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)