Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Interested in info about homeschooling :-)

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:03 AM
  • 6 Replies
Hi I'm Karen and currently interested in homeschooling my 10 year old son. I am discouraged with the public school system and am taking a stand for my sons education. He his currently going into 5th grade. His love of school has declined with the pressures of common core/ela testing. Any info will be appreciated, I am in upstate NY. Thanks
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
knoxmomof2
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Best way to start is to Google "homeschool requirements by state" or "homeschool requirements NY". You want to be sure you are following your state's laws for homeschooling. Every state is different. We are in TN and have HSd since the beginning with DD(almost 9) and DS(almost 10). Good luck!

RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Jun. 14, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Check out the homeschooling groups here on CM. They are FULL of great info. First, find out what the requirments for your state are.

I have been homeschooling for four years now(since DD was in pre-k), and love it. It is best for our family. Feel free to ask any questions :)

Reina13
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:24 AM

HI Karen. Welcome.

I understand that public school can be frustrating. You should check out the homeschooling moms group. There is a lot of great information in that group.

Join us in the Homeschooling Moms group!
Homeschooling Moms

bmw29
by Buttcrackncornchips on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Join the Happy homeschoolers group. :)

ColtsFan1912
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Like others have said look into homeschooling groups on here. They are pretty awesome.

Check into your states laws & requirements into homeschooling. Every state has different laws about it. 

From what I've read New York is one of the more strict states when it comes to homeschooling but of course that doesn't mean it's impossible. 

http://www.hslda.org/default.aspx This site can give you some information too

Here is info about New York homeschooling http://www.nyhen.org/RegsSum.htm

"Let me know that You hear me, Let me know Your touch. Let me know that You love me & let that be enough" Switchfoot

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Look on Facebook for local homeschooling groups to get some ideas for homeschooling in your area or the laws/rules. I'm going to start homeschooling next year too. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN