Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I'm curious about what others do.

Does your responsibility end at the children and basic household duties such as keeping it ckean? Does it extend to outdoor activities such as the lawn maintenance or if you live north shoveling snow or raking leaves? Do you handle all of the shopping? Is there serious landscaping or gardening?

Does your husbands responsibilities end at making the money?
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Replies (41-50):
0Kit0
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I like this. My problem is, I terribly hate, being up cleaning behind people and they're sitting on their ass watching tv or something. I know he works, and I dont' think he should come home and the house stuff falls on him, but I also don't think that once I've done "my job" that it's everyone elses job to muck it up. kwim? If you move something, PUT IT BACK! 

Quoting RheaF:

I care for the kids and the house during the day on weekdays by myself. When DH is off he pitches in. We have no real designated responsibilities. We can both pitch in and do what needs to be done without any nagging,lol.

k_hall1784
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM
I do everything that has to do with the house. I now the lawn, but we both shovel snow.
0Kit0
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Thanks. I use my Google calendar but not as often as I should. We actually share our calendars but since we spend so much time talking back and forth during the day, the calendar has become kind of background noise. Maybe that's the problem. He was just in here asking me what's on my schedule today. Mostly because he wanted me to get out there and weed the yard. I had my mom and kids ready to help me yesterday but it rained so much. Now it's all me again. I absolutely hate yard work. It's hot and it's a slow, deliberate process. 

Congratulations on your family's success and your husbands graduation, (I am assuming that's what the 6 weeks mark, but I don't know) If not, then congrats on whatever the move is that is putting your family in a better situation!

Quoting CherylAnne9:

lol Time maangement is always revolving....One thing that helps is that I edit online content from home so I do not have to worry about back ground noise and I can log in and work when ever. Even if it's only 10 min. at a time. That is the biggest help. I have a google calander that I adjust and manage each week at a time. I have learned to force my self to make 1 trip to the grocery store a week....If I don't have something then that meal waits. Where I live, it would waste min 2 hours just to run to the store and back for a gallon of milk--I NEED those two hours. lol I also have came down hard on family/friends....I am working I am not available for xyz with out a lot of notice and maybe even then I we wont make it. My kids also are 7 and 9 and so they have started doing a lot more around the house since my husband started school. We are working as a team and they knew that have to help for us to win. We have been on PA for over a year now, we are 6 weeks from never needing it again. Even in this economy we will be just fine with the education my husband is getting. That is also very motivating doing this crazy schedual week after week gets us one step closer. :)

Quoting 0Kit0:

Wow. I need to rip a few CHAPTERS from your book. Do you even sleep? The 45 hours at work on top of the other stuff is amazing. How does time management work for you?

Quoting CherylAnne9:

I handle all cooking, shopping, house work, home school 2nd adn 4th grade boys, and work 45 hours at my full time wahm job.

My husband is a full time student, takes care of the yard work, and helps with the kids when I need it.

In one month he will be done with school!!!! And be working right away....I will then cut back to about 35 hours a week at work.

HLmom89
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM
My week day starts at 7am right now cuz my oldest ds is in summer school. So i take care of myself, get the kids breakfast ready, get my 2.5year old ready. While kids eat, i let the dog out, make sure my sons stuff is ready for summer school. By 7:40am we walk to get my oldest ds to summer school.

We are usually home at 8am, and i put on elmo for my 2.5year old, and i sit for about 2hrs. By 10am i make snack for my 2.5year old and myself, start a load of wash, clean up my son, and then clean upstairs. By 10:40am i am switching laundry and by 11am i am starting lunch for me and my 2.5year old, by 11:25am i am cleaning my son, folding laundry, and by 11:35 we are outside playing. By 11:42am we start walking to get my oldest ds from summer school, by 12:15 we are back or by the park or playing in the pool. By 12:45 we are doing quite time, and i fold laundry. 1pm is nap time and i then clean up kitchen mess and figure out dinner. By 2pm i am watching a show and folding clothes, by 3pm i am waking kids up from nap, and then outside play until dinner time. Dinner time is at 5pm, i then clean up after dinner, and relax for about half hr and before i get pjs and bath time ready. By 6:30 kids are ready for bath, i put clothes away, get bed time snack, brush their teeth, and let them watch cartoons for 15-20mins before tucking them in by 7:45pm.

I also clean as i go, i do dr apts, help dh with the lawn, visit dh every friday, swim lessons with my 2.5year old. I am also on the verge of getting the nursery ready for our 3rd baby due in september. I also do groceries.

Dh just makes the money and very rarely helps me out.

RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:20 AM

That would bother me too. DH has never been like that though. He has always helped out if he sees something that needs to be done. I also homeschool, so he knows I never just sit around all day. If the dishes need to be washed, or living room picked up before dinner, he will pitch in. I try to get everything done during the day, but it doesn't always happen.

Quoting 0Kit0:

I like this. My problem is, I terribly hate, being up cleaning behind people and they're sitting on their ass watching tv or something. I know he works, and I dont' think he should come home and the house stuff falls on him, but I also don't think that once I've done "my job" that it's everyone elses job to muck it up. kwim? If you move something, PUT IT BACK! 

Quoting RheaF:

I care for the kids and the house during the day on weekdays by myself. When DH is off he pitches in. We have no real designated responsibilities. We can both pitch in and do what needs to be done without any nagging,lol.

Homeschoolmo701
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I'm a SAHM.  I'm 18 and 25 weeks pregnant and have a two-year old who was on the breast until I got pregnant.  I've been nauseous with this baby so my BF's mother comes over every day to take care of my two-year old.  She lets me stay in day until lunch when the nausea passes.  I'm just taking it easy and trying to take care and myself and have a healthy baby.

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM

i'm in an apt so there is no outside maintenance that needs to be done. I take care of meals, dishes, cleaning, shopping, laundry, getting DS to and from pre-K and next year school, playing with the kids/keeping them out of trouble, bathing them, paying bills...

DH works and comes home and helps with anything I ask. He plays with the kids. If I ask, he'll go grocery shopping with me. He doesn't throw the 'it's your job' card at me ever. if I ask for help, he does it.  However currently he's deployed so yes his responsibility is 'ending at making the money.' (as far as the family/home goes)

mrsjones2207
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Well Im newly divorced (FINALLY) been seperated for a while though so pretty much everything falls on me...I homeschool 3 kids plus take care of all the bills, shopping etc. As far as yard work I pay a neighbor or my awesome boyfriend cuts the grass when he is in town from working. When I was married everything fell on my shoulders anyway and I paid a yard service.

Monkiebut
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM
I'm in charge of the kids, medical management (2 disabled kids), meds, treatments, appointments, cleaning, shopping, meals, school stuff, and our "social life". Hubby works 8-5 m-f, helps with the garden and does the yard work. He also helps a bunch with the kids when he gets home (ie- plays with them). He is a great dad
SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Both DH and I do what needs to be done to maintain the house as needed. If I see it needs to be done I do it....from cleaning a toilet to landscaping(I sodded and built a raised garden and patio mostly myself last summer)

DH does the same. I try to make sure all the daily household stuff is done but he will fold a load of laundry or do the dishes without complaint.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)