Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I can't compete!!!

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:52 PM
  • 23 Replies

I am going to vent. I  don't care who reads it or who replies...I just have to get it off my chest!!

My husband is a Police Sargeant.  He works 3rd shift.  I feel like all he does is work and sleep.  I am tired of feeling lonely.  I am tired of feeling like I am raising our almost 6 year old boy by my self!  I am tired of being alone all the time.  I hate his job sometimes.  How can I compete with it?  I can't.  All his over time and stupid details!  I don't care about the financial support sometimes!  Seriously!  I just want to spend more than a few hours with my husband!!!!!!! :(

by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Diamepphyre
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:56 PM
3 moms liked this

*** Hugs ****  It's hard to be a policeman's wife.  Hang in there.

lacyd75
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry. I'm not a policeman's wife but my SO works the oilfield and I feel your frustration. When he worked 24/7 on call it sucked! He was gone more than home and when home was asleep. So i feel ya, don't know what to say to help though.

happysnappy
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:00 PM

It's ok.  I just needed to get that out.  I don't have many people I can vent to.

Dreamly
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Hugs!! It's very hard to not see your dh/so much and feel like a single parent. My dh is a trucker and comes home every 2-3 months. Usually for five days, although he'll be in next week for just a day. Ugh. He loves his job though and is happy, so I support him and raise our kids the best to my ability (which he appreciates).

Hollybriann
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this
My dh works overnight too. I hate the overtime also. Idk what to do about it either but if you find an answer, let me know!
terpmama
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sorry! My hubby is gone 10 ish hours a day and only gets 2 maybe hours with our kids. When he leaves for work the kids (oldest is 4) asks if he's going home :( Luckily he does get decent vacation time and most weekends are family oriented.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:04 PM
2 moms liked this

My husband is law enforcement and I LOVE hish ours. He works a night shift, and it allows him to be home more with our family. Overtime is something I encourage because he likes his job, and I can find plenty of things to do on my own. All his spare time is spent with us, his family though.... we are always his priority.

I understand that it can feel lonely sometimes, what I did since we homeschool, is I just shifted our schedule back a few hours so we have more hours with him. The kids can stay up later and sleep in, allowing him more sleep before going back to work, and the quality time they spend together makes it worth having a schedule that got shifted around to later nights. This gives them more time with him during his off days too.

All I can say is you are not alone with a job like this, and all I can recommend is shifting things around so you can spend more quality time with him when you can. If he's not interested in spending time with you or his family, that's a major problem that's unrelated to his job.

CrossStitchMum
by Member on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

((Hugs)) my DH is a truck driver who works for a company and is away for 5 days a week , and then he goes in on his days off (Saturday and most of Sunday) to help the maintenance guy because being home is 'boring'.

Lovemyshadows
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

My hubs was a po too, there are court dates and all kind of things.  He worked 11to 7 then there were reports to finish....I know exactly how you feel.

happysnappy
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 8:08 PM

thanks for your replies.  It feels good knowing I'm not alone and you all can relate. 

A positive I can say is that my hubby hates it as much as I do.  (the being away part, not the job part) He wants to be home with me and the lil man. 

It would be hard to rearrange our schedule because of our routine.  DS only has a week and a day left of school, so in that regard it would make things a little easier.  But it is hard when he is in school. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN