Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I have a ten month old who is moving quickly in the feeding department. She demolishes stage 3 baby food and seems most happy when she's feeding herself with finger foods(cheese cubes, crackers, easy mac, chicken nuggets, banana chunks). I am very much pregnant and have a super messy husband (constantly cleaning!). I don't have a lot of time for cooking since i spend most of my time off my feet (sciatic nerve and swelling nightmares!) and i'm new at this. I need ideas for super easy meals that are filling. Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Replies (21-30):
mama23brie
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:20 AM
The microwave is my best friend at this point in our lives because we don't have an oven. We have one hot plate but it mainly gets used to cook dinner since it takes forever and a day to heat up. And i didn't know easy mac was bad for babies, someone said she could have mac n cheese once so i figured it was ok. Now i feel bad :/

Quoting Blue_Spiral:

Yogurt, ususally I give him goat's milk yogurt. He likes plain but usually he'd rather have vanilla flavored.

Just make sure it has live active cultures.

Quinoa pasta, pita bread, crackers, canned lentil soup is a huge favorite that's super easy.

A great snack is almond butter. You can get it freshly ground at any health food store. My son loves eating it with a spoon or dipping apples in it. YUM!

Chicken, fish, eggs, breakfast sausage. He hates any dark meat except breakfast sausage lol.

He loves helping me scramble and pour eggs into the pan. He loves feeling like he's helping and he LOVES eggs.

He loves stir fry veggies and raw carrot slices, apples, bananas, pears.

Frozen or fresh berries are a big hit, too.

It's really easy to find food you don't have to cook, but it's not that hard to just heat stuff up on the stove and avoid the microwave. Easy mac is really REALLY bad for a baby.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shugerbit
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:32 AM

My ds at almost 3 years would eat the chicken and rice and vegetables chef boyardee boyardee everyday if I let him, he requests it anytime of day when he is hungry lol. 

Quoting NannyElin:

I have a picky 3 year old, and a picky DH for that matter.... lol... my 3 year old likes spagetti, so i get her th ose little chef bouarde(spelling?) meals in the little microwavable bowl. they are somewhere around 80 or 90 cents per bowl, and she eats those. also she eats yogurt, those little fruit puree on the go pouches, cereal, poptarts, goldfish, shredded cheese, and frozen pizzas that i make in the toaster oven. i have shown this list of her foods to her doctor and nutritionalist who have both said that is a pretty good variety, especially if i can sneak some veggies in her spagetti or on her pizza. plus they want her to be eating more peanut butter. 

gah... sorry i ramble.... anyway.... i know that feeding a toddler while pregnant, or even feeding a toddler with a newborn can be very tiresome.... i have a 5 months old so im still at that point where im too busy, or lazy, or tired to make an extravagent meal.... but im telling you toaster oven pizza, and microwave spagetti.... pretty simple and good meals for a kid. =)

3mommy2004
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:24 AM

My kids loved what we were eating!  Pasta i think was their absolute favorite!    They loved picking out the shapes to eat for the day!

Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Quoting mama23brie:

Lol of course. Just not consistantly. This is the first pregnancy i haven't sat around and just stuffed my face. Quite the opposite now. My husband even has to remind me to eat sometimes! And when i do eat, admittedly its total crap like pizza rolls cuz i'm a sucker for quick and easy lol. I guess i could start feeding her more of what we eat. I just didn't know that was ok just yet.

You can start giving them the food that the family eats from the time they start eating solids. Puréed baby food is NEVER needed.
MamaMoopsie
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Stock up on canned veggies! My kids LOVED green beans, peas, carrots, etc. Corn is a little hard for younger toddlers, but you can try hominy instead as it is bigger chunks and easier to chew (not to mention they digest it a little easier than regular corn). You can make your normal stuff, like mac & cheese, then dump a can of veggies in a bowl and warm it in the microwave for a minute and serve some up with the main part of the meal. My kids also really liked tater tots, anything with noodles, and PB&J sandwiches.

My kids are all really close in age, so I understand about being tired or in pain at the end of a pregnancy and still needing to provide meals for your other little one. My oldest two are 12 months 6 days apart in age, my 2nd and 3rd are 20 months apart, and my 3rd and 4th are 18 months apart.

Dolcepsle
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

http://wholesomebabyfood.com Great resource, they have a finger food section and some recipes. My daughter loved the chicken and apple fingers and freaks over the asparagus soup. I use Greek yogurt or skyr for the yogurt I blend with.

I roasted a lot of my daughters food. Chopped it into a size she could manage, tossed it with a spice (vanilla, cinnamon, mild curry etc) and roasted it. In a separate pan I'd roast chicken thighs too. Try asparagus. Don't be afraid to try new things, it teaches her to enjoy every food. Avocados are amazing for them and hard boiled eggs are a good source of protein too.

Like other moms I did feed her things we were eating but I modified them. I tried to minimize the amount of sodium she consumed. Be mindful that adults typically consume more sodium and fats. However, being pregnant and busy sometimes means not being perfect. Don't be hard on yourself, as long as you feed her she will be happy.

I love cooking so its easy for me but I understand not all moms have the time for elaborate meals.
Dolcepsle
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:19 AM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Another example of how my daughter eats. Simple finger foods. She's 4 now. Just do what's in your power while pregnant.

New.OrleansLady
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM

he loves psaghetti

FishCanFly
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Feed your kid what you want, but please don't kid yourself that that is healthy. And if your ped thinks that's a healthy variety that is just one more example of why Peds are NOT properly educated on nutrition and should not be giving out nutrition advice. Again, do as you please, just don't act like those are good, healthy meals for anyone, especially a child because they are not.

Quoting NannyElin:

I have a picky 3 year old, and a picky DH for that matter.... lol... my 3 year old likes spagetti, so i get her those little chef bouarde(spelling?) meals in the little microwavable bowl. they are somewhere around 80 or 90 cents per bowl, and she eats those. also she eats yogurt, those little fruit puree on the go pouches, cereal, poptarts, goldfish, shredded cheese, and frozen pizzas that i make in the toaster oven. i have shown this list of her foods to her doctor and nutritionalist who have both said that is a pretty good variety, especially if i can sneak some veggies in her spagetti or on her pizza. plus they want her to be eating more peanut butter. 

gah... sorry i ramble.... anyway.... i know that feeding a toddler while pregnant, or even feeding a toddler with a newborn can be very tiresome.... i have a 5 months old so im still at that point where im too busy, or lazy, or tired to make an extravagent meal.... but im telling you toaster oven pizza, and microwave spagetti.... pretty simple and good meals for a kid. =)

FishCanFly
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:23 PM
This is how my kids eat too. It doesn't have to be complicated. I don't understand why everyone makes it that way.

Quoting Dolcepsle:

Mobile Photo

Another example of how my daughter eats. Simple finger foods. She's 4 now. Just do what's in your power while pregnant.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)