Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I have a ten month old who is moving quickly in the feeding department. She demolishes stage 3 baby food and seems most happy when she's feeding herself with finger foods(cheese cubes, crackers, easy mac, chicken nuggets, banana chunks). I am very much pregnant and have a super messy husband (constantly cleaning!). I don't have a lot of time for cooking since i spend most of my time off my feet (sciatic nerve and swelling nightmares!) and i'm new at this. I need ideas for super easy meals that are filling. Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 15, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Replies (31-40):
FishCanFly
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Just wanted to tell you incase you aren't aware, canned veggies have almost no nutrients left in them. Of course fresh is the way to go but if you aren't able to do that all the time, the next best thing is frozen. Vegetables are typically flash frozen which preserves most of the nutrients and they are less likely to have a lot of junk added to them (check the ingredients and make sure it's only veggies) then steam them or boil them up to serve. There's also a lot on the market now with some simple sauces that your kids might like that are still a better option then going canned. Just thought you may want to know that so you could research it and try going with frozen instead.

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

Stock up on canned veggies! My kids LOVED green beans, peas, carrots, etc. Corn is a little hard for younger toddlers, but you can try hominy instead as it is bigger chunks and easier to chew (not to mention they digest it a little easier than regular corn). You can make your normal stuff, like mac & cheese, then dump a can of veggies in a bowl and warm it in the microwave for a minute and serve some up with the main part of the meal. My kids also really liked tater tots, anything with noodles, and PB&J sandwiches.

My kids are all really close in age, so I understand about being tired or in pain at the end of a pregnancy and still needing to provide meals for your other little one. My oldest two are 12 months 6 days apart in age, my 2nd and 3rd are 20 months apart, and my 3rd and 4th are 18 months apart.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM
2 moms liked this

I dont know why ppl feed toddlers and babies hot dogs. :( its the number 1 choking hazard weither its cut up small or not. Eating it in small chunks is actually worse then eating it whole. Just my opinion though. My kids never had a hotdog till they were in school. Do not recommend for a 10 month old.

OP mine loved orzo pastas with fresh veggies in a light homemade pasta sauce, or rice and veggies with some cheese or a tiny squirt of soya sauce. We do soups and crackers, turkey kelbassa with crackers and cut up fruits. Homemade mac and cheese. turkey or chicken meatballs on pasta. Egg salad sandwiches, or salmon sandwiches, chciken salad. Stuff like that.

Quoting lovemymini:

Octodog on ramen with green food coloring.. I use angel hair pasta though

lovemymini
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I obviously wouldn't feed a hotdog to a 10 month old and assume OP would use her own discretion. I did think they were cute and my DS loves them.  That is also why I added a easy toddle foods link.

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

I dont know why ppl feed toddlers and babies hot dogs. :( its the number 1 choking hazard weither its cut up small or not. Eating it in small chunks is actually worse then eating it whole. Just my opinion though. My kids never had a hotdog till they were in school. Do not recommend for a 10 month old.

OP mine loved orzo pastas with fresh veggies in a light homemade pasta sauce, or rice and veggies with some cheese or a tiny squirt of soya sauce. We do soups and crackers, turkey kelbassa with crackers and cut up fruits. Homemade mac and cheese. turkey or chicken meatballs on pasta. Egg salad sandwiches, or salmon sandwiches, chciken salad. Stuff like that.

Quoting lovemymini:

theresaphilly
by Theresa on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:29 PM
We give our toddlers the same meals the rest of the family eats.
bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I guess I dont get why you would post it if you were not intending for OP to use it as an option to feed her 10 month old it? I mean she asked for advise on what to feed a 10 month old and you posted this? What if she had no idea that hot dogs are dangerous and went and made it for the baby? baby chokes and dies.  Sure she needs to use her own discretion on what advice to take from anyone on a social network. But not always are ppl going to know better. What if Op was a young teen without a clue.

Thats all I am saying. It just seems odd to give a picture to use for advise if it was not your intentions to be used. If that makes sense?

Quoting lovemymini:

I obviously wouldn't feed a hotdog to a 10 month old and assume OP would use her own discretion. I did think they were cute and my DS loves them.  That is also why I added a easy toddle foods link.

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

Quoting lovemymini:

littlecheifsmom
by Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting jconney80:

I feed my kids what we are eating at that point. I have never ever made special meals for my kids. My two younger kids didn't start really eating until they could feed themselves. So, for every meal I just gave them soft cooked veggies, meats, and fruits... Whatever we were having they got the same thing! Or I use cooked sweet potatoes pieces of avocado, blended up chunks of meat with the veggies into smaller mashed up pieces they could feed themselves.

I do this too, as well on Sundays cut up and cube all veggies & fruits for the next few days. It makes it easy to grab & go snacks. Beans I cook till soft and portion out too. Ds loves hummus, bell peppers, spinach,egg whites (he's 14months), potatoes, avocado, oranges,peaches,plums,blueberries,raspberries, zucchini,squash,green beans, sugar snap peas, cheese, noddles mixed with parsley, pancakes, toast with cream cheese, cottage cheese, lentils

Just offer healthy choices, and she will eat what she likes.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jun. 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Dd loves mandarin oranges and diced carrots together.

Quoting Heather101413:

I do fresh fruit. I also buy canned fruit and drain the juice and cut it up, she loves it because it is  softer than regular fruit.  Mandarin oranges are her favorite :)

NannyElin
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:02 PM

let me rephrase then.... it is a good variety for her, in comparison to the goldfish, cheetos, cereal, and boost kids essentails that were her diet 6 months ago. sure i would love for her to eat fresh fruits and veggies, or the steak fajitas that i am making for lunch. but thats not going to happen, so i will be content with the peperoni pizza and strawberry yogurt that she has eaten for lunch, and i may try to get some peanuts and apple sauce or something into her as a snack before we leave.

Quoting FishCanFly:

Feed your kid what you want, but please don't kid yourself that that is healthy. And if your ped thinks that's a healthy variety that is just one more example of why Peds are NOT properly educated on nutrition and should not be giving out nutrition advice. Again, do as you please, just don't act like those are good, healthy meals for anyone, especially a child because they are not.

Quoting NannyElin:

I have a picky 3 year old, and a picky DH for that matter.... lol... my 3 year old likes spagetti, so i get her those little chef bouarde(spelling?) meals in the little microwavable bowl. they are somewhere around 80 or 90 cents per bowl, and she eats those. also she eats yogurt, those little fruit puree on the go pouches, cereal, poptarts, goldfish, shredded cheese, and frozen pizzas that i make in the toaster oven. i have shown this list of her foods to her doctor and nutritionalist who have both said that is a pretty good variety, especially if i can sneak some veggies in her spagetti or on her pizza. plus they want her to be eating more peanut butter. 

gah... sorry i ramble.... anyway.... i know that feeding a toddler while pregnant, or even feeding a toddler with a newborn can be very tiresome.... i have a 5 months old so im still at that point where im too busy, or lazy, or tired to make an extravagent meal.... but im telling you toaster oven pizza, and microwave spagetti.... pretty simple and good meals for a kid. =)

Lilys_mama1222
by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:15 PM
My dd loves green beans especially the butter kernel brand, hot dogs as well, I will pre cook noodles and place them in a zip lock bag Nd microwave them for lunch for her, grilled cheese is another good one, um she absolutely loves when I give her scrambled eggs she will devour them in no time pickles are a good one too. Lol I can keep going she isn't that picky
la_bella_vita
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2013 at 3:36 PM
This is what we do

Quoting Junebaby18:

Just give her the same food you are eating for meals. No extra prep or food to prepare. Easiest thing to do.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN