Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Does anyone have any experience with pet rats that have had seizures? Sad Update

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:16 PM
  • 7 Replies

My son's rat Lily had two episodes of twitchy movements over the past couple of weeks. I questioned whether or not it was seizures. Since yesterday she has had three definite seizures. I plan on calling a vet in the morning. She isn't even a year old. I don't see any tumors on her,does not appear to have an ear infection (no head tilt) and the other rat in the cage with her does not appear to be sick. She could have an internal tumor and someone mentioned meningitis. Has anyone ever dealt with this? What was the outcome? Were you able to help or was it a lost cause? The mention of meningitis kind of scares me since I believe it can be spread to humans. I don't know though.

by on Jun. 16, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Gingered
by Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Vet wasn't in today and she has had several more. She doesn't seem in any pain and acts pretty normal in between them.

Truluv4ever
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:31 AM
Awe, I'm sorry this is happening! I do not have experience with rats, I love them though! I am more experienced with hamsters & Guinea pigs. I hope you find the solution you need for your pet! Please let me know what happens~
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM
I have no idea but just in case it is a contagious illness maybe you should seperate the rats until you get this figured out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gingered
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Truluv4ever:

Awe, I'm sorry this is happening! I do not have experience with rats, I love them though! I am more experienced with hamsters & Guinea pigs. I hope you find the solution you need for your pet! Please let me know what happens~

She continued having seizures but seemed fine in between. Saturday morning I found her lying on her side but she would still eat and drink. My Monday morning she had gotten to the point that she couldn't eat or drink and couldn't do anything but lie on her side. She had no use of her legs at all. The saddest part was that she wanted to eat, but couldn't make her mouth work. She couldn't shut one eye. The doctor said that she had a stroke and the neurological damage was too severe to recover from it. Her heart was still strong so bringing her to be put down was the best choice. She would have died of starvation. She was at a perfect weight with no tumors to be found when I brought her in. I was so sad, but I had to let her go.

Lily wondering who that rat is that looks just like her. She was so sweet.

MusherMaggie
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM
We lost a rabbit like that a few years back.
Truluv4ever
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Oh, your story made me cry! I am so sorry for your loss! Thank you for letting me know how things turned out. The picture is sooo cute, I hope you are all coping with your loss ok it can be very hard. I will keep you in my thoughts~

Quoting Gingered:

Quoting Truluv4ever:

She continued having seizures but seemed fine in between. Saturday morning I found her lying on her side but she would still eat and drink. My Monday morning she had gotten to the point that she couldn't eat or drink and couldn't do anything but lie on her side. She had no use of her legs at all. The saddest part was that she wanted to eat, but couldn't make her mouth work. She couldn't shut one eye. The doctor said that she had a stroke and the neurological damage was too severe to recover from it. Her heart was still strong so bringing her to be put down was the best choice. She would have died of starvation. She was at a perfect weight with no tumors to be found when I brought her in. I was so sad, but I had to let her go.

Lily wondering who that rat is that looks just like her. She was so sweet.

Whovian82
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:42 PM

My experience (worked in a petstore back in the day) the rat was dropped and suffered neurological damage. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)