Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Any Kindergarten teachers out there?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:43 PM
  • 18 Replies

i am struggling with what I need to do with my Daughter.  She turned 6 in Early June.  She was in Classic Kindergarten this previous school yr. (just ended)  Classic kindergarten is basically glorified Pre-school.  They do a test on the kids to see where they should be placed. 'regualr' kindergarten or classic.  They opted to put my daughter in classic.  I feel that was a bad choice, but didn't fight it overly much because i had so much pushing fro the school district.
Now fast forward to the end of the yr.  My girl is at the top of her class. & she has 'behavioral issues'.  She doesn't stay on task, she talks frequently, she is distracting.   I was talking to a friend who is an early education teacher also, & she said she could be bored.  I talked with her kindergarten teacher & was asking if we should just do 1st grade next yr & she said no way.
i don't know what to do at this point. Are there any kindergarten/1st grade teachers that have any experience with this kind of thing?  Should I have her tested for 1st grade?  My child does not had ADD or ADHD & I'm worried the teachers will push me to medicate her if it is a simple bordom issue!

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovebugs_mom906
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:05 PM
In order to start 1st grade here, kids are supposed to be able to fully read, do basic math, among other things. Is your daughter able to do these things?
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:19 PM
2 moms liked this
If they think she has issues they should request an IEP or at least suggest the need to you.

The teacher is not qualified to diagnose a behavioral disorder. "I've seen this before in kids with xyz" is a crock of shit. You NEVER classify by comparing two kids.

Request the special Ed department do an educational assessment as part of the IEP process. If they don't feel strongly enough to do an IEP they're just blowing smoke.
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Jun. 17, 2013 at 5:27 PM

quite honestly it does sound like she has add/adhd

i know its diffucult to believe that something could be wrong with your child but now is the best time to get help so that she could live a productive life

my oldest has add *he is 8* and i am about to get my five year old tested

MelaniesMama
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Yes

Quoting lovebugs_mom906:

In order to start 1st grade here, kids are supposed to be able to fully read, do basic math, among other things. Is your daughter able to do these things?

MelaniesMama
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:37 PM

i honestly feel that ADD/ADHD is grossly over diagnosed. I also feel there are much better ways to handle REAL cases of it than medicating a child.  When I was her age my teacher swore up & down I had ADHD, my mom put me in a different school  in that was a higher,  more challenging curriculum & I was 100% better & more on task.

Quoting silverdawn99:

quite honestly it does sound like she has add/adhd

i know its diffucult to believe that something could be wrong with your child but now is the best time to get help so that she could live a productive life

my oldest has add *he is 8* and i am about to get my five year old tested

happysnappy
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:39 PM

so basically they won't advance her to 1st grade because of her behavior issues?  I would fight tooth and nail there. 

I'm not a Kindergarten teacher...but I couldn't resist looking at your post....and I almost felt like I was in your shoes.  My son has adhd and I had to fight for him since day 1 of pre-school...now he's going into 1st grade.

MelaniesMama
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:40 PM

it's just the one teacher. it's never been mentioned by any other induviduals at all. Never in per school or at her after school program. We have no issues at home at all.
I have no idea what an IEP is, I will have to look into that

Quoting MissTacoBell:

If they think she has issues they should request an IEP or at least suggest the need to you.

The teacher is not qualified to diagnose a behavioral disorder. "I've seen this before in kids with xyz" is a crock of shit. You NEVER classify by comparing two kids.

Request the special Ed department do an educational assessment as part of the IEP process. If they don't feel strongly enough to do an IEP they're just blowing smoke.

MelaniesMama
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Her teacher doesnt think she is ready, maturity level wise.   I think she is haveing 'maturity issues' because she is somewhat bored.

Quoting happysnappy:

so basically they won't advance her to 1st grade because of her behavior issues?  I would fight tooth and nail there. 

I'm not a Kindergarten teacher...but I couldn't resist looking at your post....and I almost felt like I was in your shoes.  My son has adhd and I had to fight for him since day 1 of pre-school...now he's going into 1st grade.

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:47 PM
2 moms liked this
Individualized education plan (IEP) is something that children with any hindrance to their ability to get a full education (behavioral issues count because it interferes with her learning) need to have do that the individual needs are met through goals set in the IEP.

But seriously, it just looks like she's board and that teacher has labelled her a problem child because of it. I'd get her tested for 1st grade and don't be afraid to get a little pushy. In the relationship between parents and kids, it's your way or the highway. ALWAYS. You want it, tell them you want it and stay firm.

Quoting MelaniesMama:

it's just the one teacher. it's never been mentioned by any other induviduals at all. Never in per school or at her after school program. We have no issues at home at all.
I have no idea what an IEP is, I will have to look into that

Quoting MissTacoBell:

lovebugs_mom906
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Are both kindergarten classes promoted to 1st grade? I guess I'm confused to why they are holding her back. Behavioral problems, unless extreme and interfering with learning, doesn't seem like a good reason to not promote.

Quoting MelaniesMama:

Yes

Quoting lovebugs_mom906:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)