Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need advice for teens on dating....

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:30 PM
  • 4 Replies

so I know that with girls you hear to tell them see how the guy treats his mom he will treat you the same way. what do we tell guys? I would like advice from you gals on what to tell or warn teens on with dating.

some ideas i had were, listen to how your date speaks of the past x's. if he olny talks bad about all of them, chances are he will talk bad about you like that when you break up and it might be an ugly break up. He needs to be able to see the good in people and respect people.

make sure the guy comes to the door to get you, and gets the car door for you.

i had a few others can't think of them now..

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
happysnappy
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I would say if they respect themselves, they will respect you.  First impressions are big too.  Go with your gut instinct.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM
3 moms liked this

Rules for Teen Dating

When your son/daughter wants to start dating, you need to immediately set down the rules. Be sure to consider all of the issues related to dating and decide what rules you want to implement. You must set these rules before they go on any dates. It is much easier to stick to the rules for you and your teen if you don’t have to negotiate them on the spot in front of their ‘friend’. Below are some examples of rules you might want to require:

• I will keep communicating to my parents about dating, relationships, our family values, and physical contact, including sexual relations.
  • I will introduce my date to my parents before I will be able to go out alone on a date with him/her. I understand that I may go out on group dates with friends my parents know without introductions.
  • I will not date anyone ___ years older than me or anyone ___ years younger than me.
  • I am allowed to go on ___ dates per week, this includes visiting at each other’s homes but not group or school outings.
  • I will be home – in the door and date gone – by my curfew of ____. (Note parents that the curfew time may change as your child matures.)
  • I will tell my parents where I am going to be and with whom for the entire time I am gone. (Note parents that you should know all the details of your child’s outing, including what adults and teens will be present, where it will take place, who is driving, what they’re doing, and when they’ll be home.)
  • I will require my date to be respectful of me and my family. This includes speaking kindly to family members, ringing the doorbell to pick me up (not honking the horn or calling from a cell phone in the driveway), and treating me with kindness. (Note parents that we will discuss dating violence in a future blog.)
  • My responsibilities come first. I will keep up with _________ (e.g. homework/grades, chores, sports, etc.) or possibly lose my dating privileges.
  • When my date visits me at our house, I will keep all doors open and expect that my parents may check on me.

Since teens tend to listen to your rules when they know the reasoning behind them, tell your child your feelings along with the rules. Also, keep in mind that sometimes writing down the rules is more effective than just stating them once or twice. Consider drawing up a contract with your teen that lays down the rules you’ve agreed upon. Allow them to develop some of the rules with you.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:29 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Sapphire Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 6:55 PM

This & thanks for sharing it ;)

Quoting frndlyfn:

Rules for Teen Dating

When your son/daughter wants to start dating, you need to immediately set down the rules. Be sure to consider all of the issues related to dating and decide what rules you want to implement. You must set these rules before they go on any dates. It is much easier to stick to the rules for you and your teen if you don’t have to negotiate them on the spot in front of their ‘friend’. Below are some examples of rules you might want to require:

• I will keep communicating to my parents about dating, relationships, our family values, and physical contact, including sexual relations.
  • I will introduce my date to my parents before I will be able to go out alone on a date with him/her. I understand that I may go out on group dates with friends my parents know without introductions.
  • I will not date anyone ___ years older than me or anyone ___ years younger than me.
  • I am allowed to go on ___ dates per week, this includes visiting at each other’s homes but not group or school outings.
  • I will be home – in the door and date gone – by my curfew of ____. (Note parents that the curfew time may change as your child matures.)
  • I will tell my parents where I am going to be and with whom for the entire time I am gone. (Note parents that you should know all the details of your child’s outing, including what adults and teens will be present, where it will take place, who is driving, what they’re doing, and when they’ll be home.)
  • I will require my date to be respectful of me and my family. This includes speaking kindly to family members, ringing the doorbell to pick me up (not honking the horn or calling from a cell phone in the driveway), and treating me with kindness. (Note parents that we will discuss dating violence in a future blog.)
  • My responsibilities come first. I will keep up with _________ (e.g. homework/grades, chores, sports, etc.) or possibly lose my dating privileges.
  • When my date visits me at our house, I will keep all doors open and expect that my parents may check on me.

Since teens tend to listen to your rules when they know the reasoning behind them, tell your child your feelings along with the rules. Also, keep in mind that sometimes writing down the rules is more effective than just stating them once or twice. Consider drawing up a contract with your teen that lays down the rules you’ve agreed upon. Allow them to develop some of the rules with you.

strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:22 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)