Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

normal 7 year old behavior?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM
  • 12 Replies
Is it normal for a 7 year old to state that they want to kill someone and hope they die... We are having trouble with my 7 year old and starting to work with a therapist...but I am just curious if a 7 year old says she wants to kill her brother/mom/dad or hurt them when she is angry is that typical for a 7 year old to say when they are mad? I know she would never follow through with the statements; but she is aggressive so just curious if it is typical in the heat of the moment to sya these things or not? I now I hate you is but we have graduated...so just asking.
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Not for my dd or her peers , this is not normal behavior.   DD calls me mean mommy and "i hope you trip", nothing about killing though.   That is alot of anger in a small brain/body.

ladybuglove08
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM
My kiddos are 6 & 9 and haven't even said they hate me yet..so I would say no
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nelliesmommy
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 8:01 PM

No. Keep her in therapy to find the root of the issue. Good luck.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM

not for my daughter....she has said she was going to hit/ kick someone when she was angry but never kill.

kellybean44
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:15 PM

No, not normal

My 13 year old would never say that. Nor has she ever said she hates me.

lalalamama
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:17 PM
My children have never said that.
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Not my dd. i get "your mean, i wish u werent my mom, or i wanna go live with grandma" but she says those when i ground her because she wont clean her room
Lovemyshadows
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Nope, none of my kids did.  Keep her in therapy.

lovesal
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:33 PM

You are not alone...My son has said it plenty! He has multiple disabilities, one of them being ADHD with Low Frustration Toleranace, which he too flies of the handle very quickly. In his school they follow ABA therapy program/positive reinforcement. Also, I have learned when and and when not to "feed into" what he is saying. Once he realized that he got a MAJOR reaction from saying that, he used it more often. Now I ignore it a lot of them time because I know when he is just saying it to say it. There are times however when I feel as though he really means it (crying, screaming, hyperventalation, etc.) I scoop him up and rock him, even if he is yelling at me, and I tell him positive things about himself and how much I love and want him. Get hooked up with a behaviorist.

lovesal
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Sometimes it is not because there "is alot of anger in a small brain/body," it can be just a symptom of an underlying condition; example: ADHD with low frustration tolerance, Autism, or maybe they just need a behavior therapist...It does not make your child a bad/angry/f*d up kid, it makes them just need some extra help...also look into her genetic makeup...maybe some family members have psychological issues? anxiety? or whichever... 

Quoting frndlyfn:

Not for my dd or her peers , this is not normal behavior.   DD calls me mean mommy and "i hope you trip", nothing about killing though.   That is alot of anger in a small brain/body.

Autism Is Everywhere        

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)