Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What to do with the rings(divorced)?

So came across my old wedding set and promise ring from my ex husband. Any idea what one could do with them?? I don't like the idea of keeping them for the boys because to me it was a tainted marriage, and don't want to bring bad luck to them and their future. Know what I mean?!?
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Replies (41-50):
sheena696
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:28 PM

I have no idea what MIL did with her rings, but my FIL gave his wedding band to my dh. 

MommyJill87
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:29 PM
Pawned mine.
casah4
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I'm just now starting the separation process so I'm going to hang onto my rings. They're still sentimental to me right now. I can't imagine getting rid of them because, even though our marriage ultimately ended in divorce, we still had 15 years together and some great times. Plus, one of my girls may want my engagement ring one day.

mouthymandy
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:54 PM

When I got the phone call from my solicitor announcing the divorce was final, I was within sight of my church.  I literally ran to God.  I cried a while.  On my way out, I removed my rings, wrapped them in a 20-pound banknote and dropped it into the poor box.

Perhaps give your rings to your pastor or to a women's shelter as a donation.

God bless

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:57 PM
I have the same issue.. Only my promise ring was opals (my birth stone) and i dont want to get rid of then for that reason, but at the same time, its from my ex and im remarried. My current hubby knows i want opals. But all he finds at jewlers now is that stupid rose crap they are passing as oct birthstone. I want my opals!! Lol
andreamarie
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Sell them.
soy_latte
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Pawn them.

I pawned mine the day I left. I got more than we bought them for because he guy was a schmuck and trying to get my number. Lol.
rhiannonaisling
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Check jewelers first...if none wants them then pawn them.

CjEmmemommy
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I would probably keep it for a long while and then sell it unless my children wanted it! I don't think it would be a curse to them but it doesnt hold the same meaning to pass down the divorced mom ring:)

thatgirl70
by Carin on Jun. 20, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I'm not divorced, but I did end an engagement 20 years ago. Since I had paid for the majority of the ring set we got (I was making more money than my then fiance was), I had intended to take the entire set to sell it, but my mom ended up giving him part of the set. I pawned my rings and only got $10-$20 for them (they weren't expensive rings, but they were worth more than that, ugh). I was rather ticked off about it. So whatever you do, I wouldn't go to a pawn shop. Any jeweler should be able to appraise the ring for you (which is what I would have done with mine if I had known better).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)