Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ftm... Over reacting or serious problem?

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 6:47 AM
  • 11 Replies
My son is less than 24 hours old. He had a difficult delivery after I was induced for 23 hours. Turned our his cord was wrapped around his neck pretty tight and he stopped breathing during delivery. He recovered well, but now this morning he started twitching. His left arm and his face were twitching after the nurse took him to be weighed. What could this be??
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 6:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:35 AM
1 mom liked this

not sure ASK the nurse & congrats on your new son !

rocamom
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Congrats on the new baby.  the time to talk to the nurse and Dr is now while you are at the hospital. GOOD LUCK.

rainbow_heartsx
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Congrats on your baby!! Ask the doctor/nurse they are there to help you and answer any questions you may have!!!

arpazia
by Silver Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Congratulations on the little one!
Aw:D
Ask a nurse:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrsdemar
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:45 AM
Update: we were transferred to NICU in a hospital 45 mins away. He had seizures for two days but has stabilized since while on medications. Now my MIL wants us to sue the dr for using suction and causing the bleeding and inflammation around the brain that lead to baby's seizures... So stressful!
cc5112
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Congratulatoins on your baby! I am glad you baby is doing better. 

Doctors use a suction routinely for delivery. They also use forceps. It all depends on which he/she is comfortable with. If your baby was being srangled by the cord, the doctor used his best judgement to deliver him as safely as possible. A complicated delivery may also have other complications, like yours with your baby seizing. It would have been malpractice of you were not transferred to an institution where there is a NICU for your baby to be placed under observation and receive critical care.

Suing a doctor for delivering your baby alive after being strangled by the umbilical cord seems frivolous. He/she clearly had reason for using the suction, like if the baby's heartrate was decelerating with every contraction and not recovering at the end of the contraction. In this case, your baby needed to be delivered as soon as possible. He obviously felt a suctionwould do the trick. Forceps can cause facial nerve damage, but again most of these complications are not common and most deliveries this way are uneventful.

I'm sorry you had a complications, but am glad your baby is receivng good care. Enjoy your baby and revisit this situation (if at all) after your recovery.

Again, congratulations!

disnchntdwife
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Your baby is most likely having seizures because of the cord being wrapped around its little neck. I doubt it is from the suction...many babies are suctioned and never have seizures. I don't think sueing the doctor will be fruitful in any way. You should save your energy for your baby and your gratitude should be granted to the doctor for saving your little ones life, instead of BLAME.

CONGRATS!!

baquick
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Is she going to sue your body for allowing the cord to get wrapped too? (Sarcasm)

Congrats in your little one! ((Hugs for your issues)) prayers for his recovery!

Suction/forceps are normal to use during delivery. I don't believe this is "sue worthy"

Quoting Mrsdemar:

Update: we were transferred to NICU in a hospital 45 mins away. He had seizures for two days but has stabilized since while on medications. Now my MIL wants us to sue the dr for using suction and causing the bleeding and inflammation around the brain that lead to baby's seizures... So stressful!
4wildbeasts
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:45 AM
I hate the lets sue over everything crap. It makes things so much harder for everyone else. That is exactly why doctors perform so many unnecessary csections. That must have been scary though. I hope your little one gets better soon.
cc5112
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL! I was thinking the same thing, but didn't post it because Ithought it would be taken the wrong way; but reading your post made me augh out loud!

@Mrsdemar don't let your MIL distract you with tstress. You need to recover and be with and enjoy your baby. It's selfish of her to bring this up when you are already worried and exhausted. 

Good luck you, and please let us know when your baby comes home. BTW the pic is beautiful! 

Quoting baquick:

Is she going to sue your body for allowing the cord to get wrapped too? (Sarcasm)

Congrats in your little one! ((Hugs for your issues)) prayers for his recovery!

Suction/forceps are normal to use during delivery. I don't believe this is "sue worthy"

Quoting Mrsdemar:

Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
    other members!
    Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN