Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would You Let Your Toddlers Leave the Country Without You?

I have two girls ages 5 & 2. They have great great grandparents in Puerto Rico that they've never met. My in-laws are going at the end of the month and wanted to bring the girls. My first reaction was no way. I want to be there with them. What if something happens? But then, I think, this could be the only time they get to meet that part of the family. My husband and I planned on going next year but nothing is set in stone because of his job. Am I crazy to actually be considering this?! It's a week long vacation, btw. What are your thoughts?
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Replies (151-157):
border7305
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:07 AM
Quoting ditsyjo:

I'm sorry I still would be scared about sending my child without me, do to just you never know when something might go wrong. Thanks Kim
http://www.cafemom.com/group/107984
goldilocksbecky
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Just a thought here . . . that cruise ship is a public place.  You don't need your Mother's permission to buy a ticket and board the thing.  As long as you and your husband have things worked out for the care of your new babies, I'd go for it.  You probably won't end up with a room right beside them, but could likely end up nearby.  (Once she purchases her tickets, take a look at them if you can.  And if you can't look at them, then contact the travel agent or cruise line with a few "Motherly" questions about your daughter's accomodations and you'll probably find out enough to at least know which general area you want to try for).  Like you said, you don't have to hang out with them.  But you could at least be there for some of the firsts. 

I guess my problem with the whole thing is the idea that your Mom is trying to tell you that you can't go on the cruise . . . when the reality is, you have just as much right to buy a ticket on that boat as the next person.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Meh. 

I am gonna keep working on it lol. 

And tell her, I'll have my seperate room, and just be there for breakfast, and the first meetins of the princesses and Mickey, and then I'll go off and do my own thing by the pool. 

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

:( sucks. I'm sorry. Maybe they can record it? I know it's not the same but it's better than nothing.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

My mom sells those itworks products,and they have a wish board, and that is the biggest stinking picture on there!!! No lie lol. 

And I will not lie, I am jealous. 

But ugh it just annoys me that she won't let me take a grand from our income tax and come with, and let hubs handle the twinkies. It's only for five days. 

And I can't do Disney beccause of my aniexty. 

I just don't want to miss her first Mickey meeting.

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

I would love to be there for this first. But I don't want that to be a reason they miss out. Disney cruise sounds awesome!

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Nope. 

But my mom is insisting on take my daughter on a Disney cruise for her birthday. 

I have been there for every single first, and my mother will not let me go, all because I'll have two month old twins.

PinkParadox
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:46 AM

At this age, no

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Actually my mother has every right to tell me if I am not allowed to go. 

It doesn't really matter. 

They may not go this year anyways.

Quoting goldilocksbecky:

Just a thought here . . . that cruise ship is a public place.  You don't need your Mother's permission to buy a ticket and board the thing.  As long as you and your husband have things worked out for the care of your new babies, I'd go for it.  You probably won't end up with a room right beside them, but could likely end up nearby.  (Once she purchases her tickets, take a look at them if you can.  And if you can't look at them, then contact the travel agent or cruise line with a few "Motherly" questions about your daughter's accomodations and you'll probably find out enough to at least know which general area you want to try for).  Like you said, you don't have to hang out with them.  But you could at least be there for some of the firsts. 

I guess my problem with the whole thing is the idea that your Mom is trying to tell you that you can't go on the cruise . . . when the reality is, you have just as much right to buy a ticket on that boat as the next person.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Meh. 

And tell her, I'll have my seperate room, and just be there for breakfast, and the first meetins of the princesses and Mickey, and then I'll go off and do my own thing by the pool. 

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

:( sucks. I'm sorry. Maybe they can record it? I know it's not the same but it's better than nothing.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

My mom sells those itworks products,and they have a wish board, and that is the biggest stinking picture on there!!! No lie lol. 

But ugh it just annoys me that she won't let me take a grand from our income tax and come with, and let hubs handle the twinkies. It's only for five days. 

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

I would love to be there for this first. But I don't want that to be a reason they miss out. Disney cruise sounds awesome!

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Nope. 

But my mom is insisting on take my daughter on a Disney cruise for her birthday. 

I have been there for every single first, and my mother will not let me go, all because I'll have two month old twins.

goldilocksbecky
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Oooooh-K.  I was working under the assumptions that you are an adult, that you and your husband live an independant life and that you would be paying for your own ticket.  If any of those three assumptions aren't true, then I guess you are correct.  Otherwise . . . . hmmmm.  Good luck to you.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Quoting goldilocksbecky:

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Meh. 

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Nope. 

MrsKaufold1990
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:46 AM

They are true. 

But none of your buisness to be honest.

Quoting goldilocksbecky:

Oooooh-K.  I was working under the assumptions that you are an adult, that you and your husband live an independant life and that you would be paying for your own ticket.  If any of those three assumptions aren't true, then I guess you are correct.  Otherwise . . . . hmmmm.  Good luck to you.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Quoting goldilocksbecky:

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Meh. 

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Nope. 

goldilocksbecky
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:49 AM

When you post things on a public message board, you pretty much make it other people's business. 

I was simply trying to offer up a suggestion to help you with a situation that you presented as a problem or concern.  You do get that, right?  I wasn't trying to pee in your cornflakes.

Like I said, good luck to you. :)

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

They are true. 

But none of your buisness to be honest.

Quoting goldilocksbecky:

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Quoting goldilocksbecky:

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Meh. 

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Nope. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN