Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would You Let Your Toddlers Leave the Country Without You?

I have two girls ages 5 & 2. They have great great grandparents in Puerto Rico that they've never met. My in-laws are going at the end of the month and wanted to bring the girls. My first reaction was no way. I want to be there with them. What if something happens? But then, I think, this could be the only time they get to meet that part of the family. My husband and I planned on going next year but nothing is set in stone because of his job. Am I crazy to actually be considering this?! It's a week long vacation, btw. What are your thoughts?
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Replies (21-30):
PeaceLoveAndTea
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Haha, I don't really remember it. My mom told me that when we moved, I stayed back for a week while they got furniture set up and then drove out to get me and the rest of the smaller stuff that had to stay back, too. I was just a little kid the first time I flew over on my own (I remember that one because it was Southwest Airlines and they gave me wings and there was a woman who came and got me and the other kids who were alone when we landed in the right place). I flew over on my own a lot. When they left me while they moved I was probably just 5 or 6 months shy of 3. My mom was pregnant at the time and I'm 2 years and 10 months older than my brother, so it was right around then. 

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Thank you. How old were you? It's awesome that you remember that.

Quoting PeaceLoveAndTea:

I spent a week away from my parents when I was a little younger than your daughter. I wasn't out of country, but I was in a different state (I was in Cali, parents were in Utah). I was staying with my grandma while they got our new place out there ready. To me, it's not too big of a deal as long as she is going with people you know you can trust.

To be a saint is the exception; to be an upright man is the rule. Err, fall, sin if you will, but be upright.

-Victor Hugo

Mommytoaangel
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Ok they will enjoy this once in a lifetime chance let them go

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Trust them completely! They helped so much! We lived with them since 2007. We just moved out a couple of months ago. So the girls are really close to them. I don't have the money to go with them. And my husband is working.

Quoting Mommytoaangel:

If u trust them yea why cant u go with them

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Oh okay.

Quoting PeaceLoveAndTea:

Haha, I don't really remember it. My mom told me that when we moved, I stayed back for a week while they got furniture set up and then drove out to get me and the rest of the smaller stuff that had to stay back, too. I was just a little kid the first time I flew over on my own (I remember that one because it was Southwest Airlines and they gave me wings and there was a woman who came and got me and the other kids who were alone when we landed in the right place). I flew over on my own a lot. When they left me while they moved I was probably just 5 or 6 months shy of 3. My mom was pregnant at the time and I'm 2 years and 10 months older than my brother, so it was right around then. 

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Thank you. How old were you? It's awesome that you remember that.

Quoting PeaceLoveAndTea:

I spent a week away from my parents when I was a little younger than your daughter. I wasn't out of country, but I was in a different state (I was in Cali, parents were in Utah). I was staying with my grandma while they got our new place out there ready. To me, it's not too big of a deal as long as she is going with people you know you can trust.

theresaphilly
by Theresa on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

You are not crazy and they are going with people both of you love and trust. Who knows this may be the only time they get to see their great-grandparents. I say let them go.

lismore
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:49 AM
No way
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalalamama
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM
I wouldn't, but then again my kids never lived in the same house with grand-parents like yours did. You seem to have made up your mind already, is there any point in asking others what they would do?
momto3boys85
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I have 100% trust in my inlaws, and my inlaws currently have my 7 yr and 5 yr old RVing across the states for pretty much the whole summer from Florida to Vegas for a family reunion and then heading home, we have been calling each other and sharing pictures via facebook and they are journaling their adventures in their own personal diaries their memaw & Papa (aka grandma and grandpa) bought them. If you trust them and the kids are healthy to travel why not? It's just a week and like you said they may never get to meet them otherwise.

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:19 AM
I haven't fully made up my mind. I would still like to see other opinions.

Quoting lalalamama:

I wouldn't, but then again my kids never lived in the same house with grand-parents like yours did. You seem to have made up your mind already, is there any point in asking others what they would do?
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:21 AM
How fun! If I decide to let them go, we'll definitely be Skyping more than once a day lol!

Quoting momto3boys85:

I have 100% trust in my inlaws, and my inlaws currently have my 7 yr and 5 yr old RVing across the states for pretty much the whole summer from Florida to Vegas for a family reunion and then heading home, we have been calling each other and sharing pictures via facebook and they are journaling their adventures in their own personal diaries their memaw & Papa (aka grandma and grandpa) bought them. If you trust them and the kids are healthy to travel why not? It's just a week and like you said they may never get to meet them otherwise.

MrsCarnes88
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 11:02 AM
No... But my dd is almost nine and I just let her dad take her on a vacation half way across the country (and the first time I let him take her out of state) for the first time last summer... Not that I don't trust him he is a good dad but in my mind no one can take care of my babies like I can n I don't trust anyone that much
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN