Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Teaching Kids to Smile When They Work

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM
  • 2 Replies

You would think this was a no-brainer but actually it seems that the genetic component that makes human beings able to work effectively is somehow tied to a dour facial expression so that when people concentrate they also tend to frown.  Now why this is so...I don't have the foggiest....but I know that when I frown everyone tends to think I am mad even when I am just working hard. 

So, like every other opprotunity for teaching our kids about the world, it is nice to clue them into to subtle body-language realities like this and prepare them...or at least give them a conscious understanding of what is happening and how people around them preceive them.  Most people are put off by frowns, groans, utternces of horror, ect... so when a child is asked to do a job and they immediately roll their eyes, slump their shoulders, melt at the knees...it sends a message.  Kids don't really want to be disliked or thought of as poor sports and babies...so it is helpful...without a sermon tone to just tell them what is happening when they react to work requests with a poor attitude.  But even more importantly, it is vital that parents model for their children the right way to respond to work...unexpected and even unpleasant requests.  When an adult smiles and nodds and uses a pleasant tone of voice they proclaim to the world that they are star quality, capable of handling what ever is thrown at them and doing it with grace and charm.  Those are the people who make the world a better place.  Those are the people we respect and admire.

If we have the dream of leading our children into a bright future it is wise to teach them to smile despite the day's trials or tibulations...after all...if we love them we want them to grow in goodness and that means always striving to become better people.

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
lalalamama
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Ha! We've had that discussion! I think you can work and be grumpy and resentful or choose to smile. Either way the job will get done, may as well be in a good mood. My kids would often answer with " ooookaaaaay, in a minute" then be unpleasant and surly when doing the chore.
I mimicked them a few times. Didn't prepare dinner until asked then sighed, whined and banged the pots around. Think they got the message ;)
mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Good point.  The first thing I was told at my first job was to smile at the customer!  Smiling helps you sound pleasant even if you are in a foul mood.  ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN