Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

my 4 month old is sick

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:23 PM
  • 16 Replies

Ok I need some advise here. My 4 month old son has a little cold we just got back from vacation and for the past 2 days he has had a mucus cough and I can hear the boogies when her breaths lol. I called his dr and he said to run a vaporizer and let it run it's course. I know I don't have a vaporizer and can't get one right now so I can run the shower so it get hot in the bathroom so the steam will help him. I don't know how long this cold should last. I am scared of it turning into something else. His dr said just to keep an eye on him and have him drink as much as possible. Nothing is really changing besides him being cranky. Is their anything else I can do to help him? How do I know if it turns into something else like pneumonia? In case you haven't  noticed I worry a tad bit too much lol. please no bashing I just need some advise. 

by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vvinkyloafer
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:25 PM
If he isn't running a temperature, the best thing may to just let the cold run its course. If you're worried about the mucous, use saline drops. Continue to find ways to clear the nasal passages, like steam.

I just went through the same thing with my 7-month-old but hers has been associated with teething.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmomat22
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:30 PM

no temperature but he is teething and has been for about a month and a half. thank you for the help. 

Quoting vvinkyloafer:

If he isn't running a temperature, the best thing may to just let the cold run its course. If you're worried about the mucous, use saline drops. Continue to find ways to clear the nasal passages, like steam.

I just went through the same thing with my 7-month-old but hers has been associated with teething.

jconney80
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I wouldn't worry about it now. I know it can be really scary for babies to be sick. Just keep trying to keep his nose clear and try the hot shower. I hope he feels better quickly!

jconney80
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I used saline drops and the nose sucker to keep their head clear. it works so much better to use the saline with the sucker.

Quoting vvinkyloafer:

Nerys-Kianna
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:22 PM

More than suction his nose with the bulb thingy, using baby saline spray and steaming bathroom you can't really do. Maybe some baby vapor rubs.

vvinkyloafer
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:22 PM
I never used the drops without the bulb syringe. I thought that was necessary!

Quoting jconney80:

I used saline drops and the nose sucker to keep their head clear. it works so much better to use the saline with the sucker.

Quoting vvinkyloafer:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiredme
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:27 PM

There is medicated baby bath (it is a green bottle), I would not use it on the baby since he's so young but I usually put a little in the tub and then run the hot shower with the tub closed to get that in the air as well.

CherylAnne9
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QEdTGfvEhY

Watch that...If his chest looks like that he needs to be seen asap. My son would do this when he was a baby....it would concave deeper on him. But the main thing is watching his tummy depress along his ribs. Other wise your doctor is right. It's a waiting game. :(  Hoping for the best....as I am sure he will be just fine.

Oh...He is pretty young for cold meds. But if you are nursing, you can take the meds then nurse him. It will give him a low enough dose not to hurt him but make him feel better at the same time.

Imjustinsmommy
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 10:57 PM

no fever is a great sign its just a cold.. keep an eye on the temp & hydrate.

newmomat22
by Silver Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:23 AM

thank you 

Quoting jconney80:

I wouldn't worry about it now. I know it can be really scary for babies to be sick. Just keep trying to keep his nose clear and try the hot shower. I hope he feels better quickly!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)