Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Does anyone have a career in Human Services?

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:33 AM
  • 11 Replies

I have a few questions, and Google is just confusing me right now...my head is literally swimming with information.

OK, first question: What all can you do with an undergrad degree in Human Services? Some of the articles and info I read were helpful, but it kinda led me to my next question, which is unclear to me: Do you need to have a Graduate degree to work in that field? I know the pay would be higher and opportunity for advancement easier, but Grad school is expensive- I'd like to have the OPTION of going, but not necessarily HAVE to go (I plan on it, but life happens).

Third question: If this is your career field, what do you do, and what do you like/dislike about it? What go you interested?

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Have.Faith
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Bump!
.Peaches.
by Complex Simplicty on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Quoting Have.Faith:

Bump!

Thanks, I'm hoping someone who's in this field or knows about it sees it and can help me out!

NDADanceMom
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 1:15 AM
I think most jobs require a masters in social work in the human services area. I'm a teacher and i know the councilors and social workers in our district have masters.
Maybe a BA could get you a job in a wic office or other state agency, especially if you are bilingual. Nursing home? The pay would be terrible though.
FL2AK
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 1:18 AM
I work in human services. Most of the jobs that you will get with an undergraduate degree are entry level case manager positions or assistant positions. I have a masters in counseling which opens up many more job opportunities and double the pay. It is well worth the extra two years of school and getting licensed.
.Peaches.
by Complex Simplicty on Jun. 22, 2013 at 1:24 AM

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I think most jobs require a masters in social work in the human services area. I'm a teacher and i know the councilors and social workers in our district have masters.
Maybe a BA could get you a job in a wic office or other state agency, especially if you are bilingual. Nursing home? The pay would be terrible though.

Nah, you couldn't pay me enough to work in a Nursing home- its just not for me. I've heard you really have to have a passion for working with the elderly and just....don't. lol

.Peaches.
by Complex Simplicty on Jun. 22, 2013 at 1:27 AM
Quoting FL2AK:

I work in human services. Most of the jobs that you will get with an undergraduate degree are entry level case manager positions or assistant positions. I have a masters in counseling which opens up many more job opportunities and double the pay. It is well worth the extra two years of school and getting licensed.
Its not really the extra time in school I'm worried about- I can do that. Its how expensive grad school is. I just don't want to be stuck paying outrageous student loan payments for the next 30 years. I guess I could work and save some money to go, while paying down my student loan load- is that how you did it? Or did you go straight from undergrad to grad?
misbishy
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 1:35 AM
Yep

Quoting FL2AK:

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jun. 22, 2013 at 1:41 AM

bump

FL2AK
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 1:41 AM
I started in the field before I started my bachelors, but I came from the medical field and many years of volunteer experience with people who have disabilities. I started as an assistant and worked while completing my degree. My work paid for my masters and promoted me after I earned a bachelors degree. I then tested for licensure. What kind of clients do you want to work with?

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting FL2AK:

Its not really the extra time in school I'm worried about- I can do that. Its how expensive grad school is. I just don't want to be stuck paying outrageous student loan payments for the next 30 years. I guess I could work and save some money to go, while paying down my student loan load- is that how you did it? Or did you go straight from undergrad to grad?

.Peaches.
by Complex Simplicty on Jun. 22, 2013 at 1:51 AM
Quoting FL2AK:

I started in the field before I started my bachelors, but I came from the medical field and many years of volunteer experience with people who have disabilities. I started as an assistant and worked while completing my degree. My work paid for my masters and promoted me after I earned a bachelors degree. I then tested for licensure. What kind of clients do you want to work with?

Quoting .Peaches.:

Quoting FL2AK:

I really want to work with at-risk youth.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)