Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Chicago airport?

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:20 AM
  • 11 Replies

Does anyone fly through Chicago Ohare and feel comfortable? I've only flown through there once and it was an awful experience, but I'm sure it was because of my own insecurities and issues. Either way, since then I've refused to fly through Chicago, and I ALWAYS fly through Atlanta. Except now I'm looking for flights and by FAR the cheapest flights go through Chicago. And it's a big difference, enough to make me choose Chicago over ATL. But I'm just nervous? What kind of airport is it? Is it huge? Difficult to navigate? I will admit when I found my gate there I just sat down, cried, and then my son spilled his Cheerios everywhere and then I REALLY cried. It was just awful. So naturally, I'm nervous to be flying through there because of my personal previous experience.

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momoftwo0406
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:22 AM
It's a big air port but it is normally smooth. Give your self plenty of time to find your gate. Relax and have a good trip.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:40 AM

It is big, but I have not had too many issues.  I think the most stressful part is hoping you make it to your gate in time for the connecting flight.  O'Hare is an airport you will want to be at early to check in and go through security.  After that, find your gate and then walk around, look at the shops, find something to eat while you wait for your flight.

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I fly to/through O'Hare pretty frequently, and I've never had problems that I've noticed. It sounds like you just had a rough experience last time--it happens, especially when you're flying with kids. I think that would have happened anywhere. I wouldn't be too nervous.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:52 AM
I used to travel through there quite a bit and that was always m fear too. Never materialized fortunately.

Quoting ScrChk23:

It is big, but I have not had too many issues.  I think the most stressful part is hoping you make it to your gate in time for the connecting flight.  O'Hare is an airport you will want to be at early to check in and go through security.  After that, find your gate and then walk around, look at the shops, find something to eat while you wait for your flight.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2boys03
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I'm from that area so have flown from there a lot.  I have never had any problems.  It is big so and crowded.  Just give yourself lots of time and don't stress if your son spills anything that is just what kids do.  If you are changing flights talk to the gate crew about where the next gate is and they will give you directions.  Key is just to keep calm.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:21 AM
I was too buy trying to rush from one sode to the other sode to catch my connecting flight to feel uncomfortable. Lol
Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Jun. 22, 2013 at 10:29 AM

haha yeah. And then I checked and saw that we enough time for a potty break, and my 3 year old who had JUST finished potty training decided he wanted to throw a fit and not go potty (and he hadnt gone the whole first flight) so after a minute I got him to go, my mom was continuously calling my phone (as I wasn't answering trying to get DS to pee and race through the place), finally sat down and gave him his cheerios, and he spilled them everywhere. it was his first flight so i was nervous about that and he whined a lot of the first flight so I didn't have high hopes for the connecting flight =[ It was just. A horrible day. 

And even worse-this time my now 5yo will be staying home with his dad, and I'll be taking my freshly-turned 1yo on the plane (as it's her dad we're going to see). *deep breath* lol. it's going to be awesome *twitch* awesome.

Quoting sahmw2010:

I was too buy trying to rush from one sode to the other sode to catch my connecting flight to feel uncomfortable. Lol

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM

If my teenage daughter can manage on her own Im sure an adult can

Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM
I live near Chicago and fly out of O'Hare all the time. I've never had a problem.
sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 12:23 PM

yikes, I have never flown with kids. I left them with my mom while i flew to Germany for a romantic get away with my hubby. just keep reminding urself... ur off to see ur hubby :)

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

haha yeah. And then I checked and saw that we enough time for a potty break, and my 3 year old who had JUST finished potty training decided he wanted to throw a fit and not go potty (and he hadnt gone the whole first flight) so after a minute I got him to go, my mom was continuously calling my phone (as I wasn't answering trying to get DS to pee and race through the place), finally sat down and gave him his cheerios, and he spilled them everywhere. it was his first flight so i was nervous about that and he whined a lot of the first flight so I didn't have high hopes for the connecting flight =[ It was just. A horrible day. 

And even worse-this time my now 5yo will be staying home with his dad, and I'll be taking my freshly-turned 1yo on the plane (as it's her dad we're going to see). *deep breath* lol. it's going to be awesome *twitch* awesome.

Quoting sahmw2010:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)