Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Extra toes or diformed feet?

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:59 AM
  • 1 Replies

Any moms out there with kids who have exta toes, or deformed feet?  My dd age 6, she has 6 toes on her left foot.  Its not just an extra toe she has extra bones in her foot as well.  We took her primary's when she was one to have her evaluated, and we were told that all they could do was remove the extra toe, they would nto remove the extra bones in her foot unless they caused serious problems.  She could have them removed for cosmetic reasons if she wanted to, but that would not be an option till after she was done growing as they would really have to restructure her foot. So we chose to leave the extra toe alone.  The extra toe is fine, it doesn't cause problems.  its the extra bones in the foot that are starting to become an issue.  Her foot is really wide, and one bone is curved.  We were told to make sure to buy shoes that were wide enough to accommodate that foot.  Right now during the summer, we have her in crocs, or water shoes, those are the only two options that do not squeeze her foot.  But, that will not work in the fall and winter.  Keep in mind winter here is very cold and usually several feet of snow year round, so she need a good pair of snow boots.  But... we cannot find anything. 

If you have a child with foot issues, what do you do?  Is there anyplace to have shoes custom made?  I cannot find anything here.  Our ped said he was going ot call around,and we have an appt next week, but so far nothing.  The foot doctors in this area are not pediatrics, and may not take her (we had to drive 4 hours to Salt Lake when she was one just to have it looked at because no doctor would take her because they all said they did not take children patients and none of them had experience with extra digits). 

I have let her run around bare foot most of the time since that seems to be the best option, but even barefoot, she says that foot aches by the end of the day. 

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Here is a store i found that has sneakers to fit special feet.  I inputed Utah since you posted about SLC.  They have a sneaker that is purple and pink.  May be able to help you with other styles as well.

http://www.hanger.com/locations/Pages/LocationByState.aspx?state=Utah

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)