Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What makes a good father?

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM
  • 11 Replies

I had a huge fight with my sons father today he thinks he is a wonderful dad when he only sees our son twice a month (his choice) I offer him extra time he very rarely takes it. He also says he pays his cs so because of those two reasons he says he is an awesome dad. I disagree...

What is a good dad to you? 

by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:24 PM

A good dad is involved in his childs every day life. He is supportive and caring. He uses his time to teach his children new things, takes them places and not only tells them that they are loved but shows them how special they are to him.

My DH does all of that.

michiganmom5150
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Sounds like my ex...NOT THAT! A good dad goes out of his way to see his kids. Spends time finding out what their interests are and who their friends are. They know what is going on in their kids lives. Encourages them to do good in everything they do, sports, school, etc. there's probably more, but I can't think right now.,
momof2girls220
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:28 PM

a good dad is someone who loves and spends time with his kids.

MzScorpio227
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM
You should ask your son if all of this makes his dad great. I think a dad should be more involved with his children. My DH takes our son to his therapy sessions and gives me feed back on how the session went. Gets actively involved in parent teacher conferences, goes to school related events and makes friendly conversations with school staff etc.... I didn't grow up with my dad, so all of this is still new to me.
lalalamama
by Member on Jun. 22, 2013 at 4:31 PM
A Dad who's there every evening to talk and tuck you to bed after spending a day busting his butt to earn the money needed to put a roof over your head.

Oh, but you're talking non-custodial divorced Dad. In that case, a Dad who financially supports his child through CS and follows custody agreements gets brownie points. Ideal? Far from it. But if he were the perfect man you'd still be married.
Let it go.
LordOfTheMoms
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this
A good Dad is one who is a very active role model in their child's life. To be there when the mother cannot. Or help pick up the slack. It's not about money or even visiting, it's about wanting to mold your child and be in there life so you know they know they're loved. Cared about. Knowing that your child feels safe. A good Dad does little things here and there to show all of that to his child whether it be a term of endearment, a look or nod, a handshake, a song, picking them up something not to spoil but because you couldn't stand walking by without getting it for your baby. There is so much that a father is and that a father can be
NDADanceMom
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 5:24 PM
My son is on a camping trip with church this week. My husband went with but drove the 5 hours rather than take the bus because he is coming home early so he can go to the doctor with me when we have our anatomy scan ultra sound. He has never missed a dance recital, church play, baseball game, orchestra concert, etc. if a kid is sick he doesn't ask me what to do. He gives meds, makes appointments, brings kids in to a doctor without me having to prompt him.
He cooks healthy meals, helps with school projects, volunteers.
He is also an example of a loving husband. He holds hands with me in the car, at school events, church, wherever. He brings me presents, takes me on dates, he has never been rude to me.
He is an example of good health. He runs marathons, he eats healthy, gets regular dental and doctor appointments.
ReeseStrickland
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:32 PM

This is your post too, isn't it?

http://www.cafemom.com/group/416/forums/read/18687786/So_So_So_sad?highlight=233784181#post233784181

Simply put, thought and consideration make a good parent.  Asking questions like "How is this effecting my childs feelings of self worth in the long run?" and having the consience to feel a twinge of guilt when it occurs to you it might be hurtful.  Giving money makes a good financial supporter.  And of course, a somewhat responsible adult since it's legally required.

But when you look at other non custodial Dads, twice a month plus C/S is pretty good.  Maybe back off and he'll start taking more time with him when he can ask for it on his own terms.  I think it's hard for those Dads feeling like they are played as the bad guy all the time for not having custody, and even worse if they ask for it.

ReeseStrickland
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I think the reality of divorce is that the parents are often having a hard time getting along.  And no matter how much love there is for the kids, the relationship between Mother and Father remains explosive.  If a divorced couple could have this kind of relationship they may as well be married.  I know there are some very good divorces but it takes time and lots of forgiveness on both parts to reach that place.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

My son is on a camping trip with church this week. My husband went with but drove the 5 hours rather than take the bus because he is coming home early so he can go to the doctor with me when we have our anatomy scan ultra sound. He has never missed a dance recital, church play, baseball game, orchestra concert, etc. if a kid is sick he doesn't ask me what to do. He gives meds, makes appointments, brings kids in to a doctor without me having to prompt him.
He cooks healthy meals, helps with school projects, volunteers.
He is also an example of a loving husband. He holds hands with me in the car, at school events, church, wherever. He brings me presents, takes me on dates, he has never been rude to me.
He is an example of good health. He runs marathons, he eats healthy, gets regular dental and doctor appointments.

TattedAbbaZabba
by on Jun. 22, 2013 at 7:21 PM

A real dad does whatever it takes for his kids.  If he cant see them all the time at least he keeps in contact with them.  He puts them first instead of his friends.  And doesnt lie about coming to see them and not showing up to the point you stop telling your kids hes coming because you know he wont show...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)