Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Shall I circumcise my son advice please

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:52 AM
  • 83 Replies
Hi my names Hayley I have 2 children, a lil girl of nearly 9 and a 1 month old baby boy. I'm English and come from a non religious background. My partner is Muslim. His family would like to circumcise my son. the thought of this is making me very depressed as I cannot bare the thought of putting my son through this. I have no knowledge of circumcision. His family are saying I'm only worrying as its a new thing to me and its a simple procedure. Thoughts and advice please? Reading sources from the Internet have petrified me as it says there are no health benefits and is painful for the child
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 6:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NDADanceMom
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:10 AM
I'm shocked you found no Heath benifits. It reduces the chance of STDs.
My son is, as are many Americans. I did it because his dad is, its what I'm familiar with. I don't think its a big deal either way but i would do what you and your husband decide, i wouldn't worry about the family.
TableforSeven
by Judy on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:16 AM

I'm assuming your partner wants his son circumcised for religious reasons.  If it helps you feel better....you should know that in religions where circumcision is done ritualistically, the person who does the, is highly trained in the procedure and, generally speaking, they are more careful, taking their time more than a hospital doctor who just wants to get every baby in and out as quickly as possible.

Krystalgates454
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I circumsized my son when he was two weeks old. It's better to do it as soon as possible, it's less traumatic. Anyway there are benifits from it. It's more sanitary and I've also heard that it reduces the chances of stds as well. When I took my son it really wasn't a big deal, they gave him a shot to numb it and of corse he did scream but after it was done he slept it off and was back to normal the next day. It only took a week to heal and it wasn't hard to keep clean. My son is 7 months old and it has been a rough 7 months but the circumsition was the easiest problem I've had to deal with so far. I hope that helps
-Krystal
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Krystalgates454
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 7:59 AM
1 mom liked this
P.s ultimately the decision is between you and your husband. Do what ever you're most comfortable with. I don't think it matters either way. This is just what I experienced with my decision to have it done.
-Krystal
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Keep doing your research and don't brush it off. Sit down with your partner and have a discussion about it, don't just do it because of his religion (assuming that's why). 

Mittenmommie
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:02 AM
I had it done to my son before we left the hospital. It's very fast and they don't remember what happened and they don't use drugs or anything like that so the babies aren't all drugged up. It's much cleanser and safe for him during is life. It's really not a big deal at all
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Both my boys are, my SO, and his two sons.  My SS is having it redone because the skin keeps groing on top top of the head and is causing infections and issues for him.  He is 6.5.  He did have it done when he was a baby, but I guess the dr did not do it right.  If you decide to have your son circed, I would do it while he can't remember the pain. 

Texascandee
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM
2 moms liked this

Bottom line is that's something you and your husband need to decide, not his family or some stranger on the internet.  Personally, I wouldn't.  When my grandson was born, my daughter read up on it and watched videos of how it's done and that was enough for her.  There is nothing wrong with an uncirc penis........I don't agree about the things that could happen if the baby is not. 

Keep doing your research and watch videos.  A lot of people say the baby doesn't feel it but if that's the case, why are they screaming while it's being done?  My gs is now 9 yo and has not had any problems.  There's a reason that they have skin there.

maxswolfsuit
by Silver Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM

There's lots of misinformation on the Internet. You need to talk to the doctor or person who would do it and get details from him or her. 

This is the last place in the world you should go for advice on this topic. 

chotovec82
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM
7 moms liked this
I wouldn't do it. Those so called health benefits are simply untrue as there are many other solutions that offer the same benefits. Since you're English you already know from your own experiences that most of what Americans believe is totally untrue. As far as your husbands religion goes; it's not an actual requirement. I have a friend who's baby daddy was Muslim and she didn't circumcise him. He was nervous because he thought he'd be the one to be in trouble for it so he went and asked someone in his Synogogue and they said that it's not a requirement. Even if it was I would never do it. It's not right to mark your child with your religious ideology. Also there are very real risks to it. 117 boys die each year in the US due to circumcision or circumcision related complications. Other risks include severing the glands, adhesions, taking too much skin off, bleeding issues, and other lifelong issues. There are tons of men who are in the processing of trying to restore their foreskins because they are unhappy being circumcised. I would never make the choice to permanently alter someone elses body. Seems pretty unethical to me. Circumcision in the US has gone down dramatically in the US as well. If he wants to become circumcised later as part of his Muslim relgion than he can make that sacrifice for himself. I would think it'd be more meaning for him that way.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)