Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Am I just being over protective?

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM
  • 69 Replies
Whenever my son goes with his grandmas I ask them to let me know if they leave the house. So like if they decide to go to eat just shoot me a text saying going to eat here or going to play here (park, zoo, etc). I am not having them ask me for permission neccessarily if it is within 15-20 min but I do want to know where my son is at all times. My son is 3. My mil thinks that because she is grandma she should be able to take him anywhere without saying anything because she is grandma.
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Big_Momma_X02
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I was going to ask how old he was but I see you already added that,no you aren't,I remember when my kids were that age and if they went with another relative I would ask those types of ? too...

LAXmom21
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 6:56 PM
5 moms liked this
if you trust them to take him then what's the issue?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:03 PM
7 moms liked this

Honestly if I were your MIL I would say, "I understand you have the right to make any rules you want about your child but I am an experienced parent and I dont want to check in everytime I leave my home.  Im not a 16 year old baby sitter.  I would apreciate if we just limit visits to when you are here to supervise or I can visit in your home.  When you are comfortable allowing me to come and go as I please I will be willing to watch your son overnight." 

I think its insane to ask her to text you when she takes him to the park unless she is unfit.  If she is unfit why is he there at all? 

RADmomma
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:08 PM
I kinda have to agree with this.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Honestly if I were your MIL I would say, "I understand you have the right to make any rules you want about your child but I am an experienced parent and I dont want to check in everytime I leave my home.  Im not a 16 year old baby sitter.  I would apreciate if we just limit visits to when you are here to supervise or I can visit in your home.  When you are comfortable allowing me to come and go as I please I will be willing to watch your son overnight." 

I think its insane to ask her to text you when she takes him to the park unless she is unfit.  If she is unfit why is he there at all? 

LAXmom21
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:09 PM
I agree but many women will think she's right.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:26 PM

If you have her cell phone number, why do you need to know what is going on?  If there is an emergency while they are out, she could tell you then.  At age 3 dd was going off with my dad on day trips into another state to run his errands.

If you dont trust her, then the child should not be there unsupervised period.

JustMe0326
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Yep. Too over protective.

I noticed this was your MIL. Would you or do you do this with your own mother??

Quoting RADmomma:

I kinda have to agree with this.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

my.sonshine
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm the same way. I don't care about anyone elses opinion though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Yes, you are being over protective, blocking a bond for child and grandparent to have and not having much trust in the person you choose to leave your child with. (impression of it anyway)

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 7:36 PM
I agree with you.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)