Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

take a shower by themselves? my daughter is 5 and such a handful to bathe. I'm wondering when your kid started to shower by themselves or when I should try to introduce her to doing it herself. thanks!

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
goldilocksbecky
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM

It almost sounds like 2 seperate questions/issues here.  Are you asking at what age she can do things independently or what age she can take a show instead of a bath?

My little one has always showered.  Even as a baby we took him in the shower with us.  So, she's definitely big enough to take a shower.  As for the independance, that's going to depend upon how you keep her hair.  Longer  hair is going to require your help for a longer time.  However, there's no reason you can't let her take a shower and still help her with her hair.  Just have her step down to the end while you reach in and shampoo her hair.  I personally think showers are easier all around and that they make hair care in particular much easier.

RADmomma
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Dd is 5 and does it by herself except for her hair... But she likes to bathe with her baby sister too...
Night_Roane
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:47 PM
My DD is almost 5 and has been bathing by herself for a couple of years now. I have a no-skid pad in the bath and I keep the door open. If I hear a splash or I think she's too quiet I check on her. I fill the water up to a safe level and she's old enough now that she knows to wash her hair before she gets out. I wash her hair once a week or so to make sure it's clean.
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Dd has been showering since 4. I am fortunate enough to have a walk in shower so it is easy to get in and out as well as safe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Night_Roane
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Oh and my DD doesn't like water in her face and won't shower, but I think it would be perfectly safe if you wanted to let your DD try it.
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa :) on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:51 PM

my dd started showering by herself at 4..i would still help her with hair tho..and her back :)

gcstar42
by Shara on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM

My son is 7 and still calls me in there constanty to help him. He calls me for silly things like saying he doesnt know which bottle is the soap and which is shampoo (even though they look nothing alike and he really does know lol) and he always wants help rinsing and stuff. My oldest daughter is 5 and in the last few months has started showering completely by herself. If she takes a bath instead of shower then she tends to need help rinsing her hair if she is having to wash it. My youngest daughter is about to be 4. She can wash her body and does a pretty good job but is not good at washing and rinsing her hair at all so I do that for her. And she is not allowed to bathe without an adult in there yet, because she will mess around too much (splashes water everywhere and stands up and gets rowdy and stuff.)

harajukumoma
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:56 PM
She's 5 and can pretty much do it herself but I like to help to make sure she gets all the soap out of her hair
spunky946
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:55 PM
My dd will be 5 next week and has been showering for ever by herself. She has shoulder length hair and I check it to make sure the shampoo is out.
olivia07
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I'm so glad you asked this question...been wondering the same with my 6 yr old.  I guess I gotta let go and have her do it, but I'm kinda OCD and want everything clean and rinsed and not sure that will happen if I let her do it on her own.  But that is the only way she will learn.  Thanks for opening my eyes=)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)