Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Can someone help me out here?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:40 AM
  • 62 Replies

IDK what to say to my husband.  How do I say it without starting a fight? He smokes in the car with me in it and I HATE it. I told him I hate it. I told him that even though he has the window cracked open and he can see the little trail of smoke going out the window that I can still smell it and am inhaling the smoke. He waved his hand and said "i'm just making that up"

I am pissed. What do I do. 7 min trapped in a car with someone and not being able to have a breath of clean air is just too much for me.

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymom26
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Start taking a seperate car everyone where you go until he gets the point that you don't appreciate it. He shouldn't do it while the kids are in the car either - I'd make a point of that as well. 

The_Doodle
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Roll your window down all the way. You get fresh air and he will probably get either ash or a cherry in his face.
tristansmom74
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Yeah- my 10 yo reminds him that constantly. He ignores us both. Says all the smoke goes out the window and we are making it up. We hardly ever go anywhere in the same car as him.

Quoting Anonymom26:

Start taking a seperate car everyone where you go until he gets the point that you don't appreciate it. He shouldn't do it while the kids are in the car either - I'd make a point of that as well. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tristansmom74
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Tried that yesterday. Seemed like a good idea but it doesn't work. The air goes into the back seat then pushed the smoke in my face even worse.

Quoting The_Doodle:

Roll your window down all the way. You get fresh air and he will probably get either ash or a cherry in his face.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TaralynnStewart
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:12 AM
3 moms liked this
Yuck!! Someone that smokes is such a turn off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymom26
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Make that hardly into a never. Have a family member or friend take your son if your husband has to drive him and you can't be there to take him too. It will be inconventient for a bit until he gets the point. It's inconsiderate. Does he not love and respect your family enough to wait 10 to 30 minutes while you drive somewhere before he lights up? 

Quoting tristansmom74:

Yeah- my 10 yo reminds him that constantly. He ignores us both. Says all the smoke goes out the window and we are making it up. We hardly ever go anywhere in the same car as him.

Quoting Anonymom26:

tristansmom74
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Love yes - Respect - NO.

Quoting Anonymom26:

Make that hardly into a never. Have a family member or friend take your son if your husband has to drive him and you can't be there to take him too. It will be inconventient for a bit until he gets the point. It's inconsiderate. Does he not love and respect your family enough to wait 10 to 30 minutes while you drive somewhere before he lights up? 

Quoting tristansmom74:

Quoting Anonymom26:

L202M
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I have a friend who used to claim the same thing...as long as she pointed the cigarette to the window crack it was okay...except that it wasn't.  I could still smell it.  The next morning my car still stunk.  Now whenever I go anywhere with her, she smokes outside of the car, but I have to say that it's still annoying.  We have to wait for her to smoke when we get to wherever we're going, then we have to wait for her to smoke when we get back to the car to leave.  If it's cold outside, she'll leave the door open so she doesn't have to  stand there alone, meanwhile I'm freezing.  It's just annoying to be friends with a heavy smoker...and let's not even mention how her house smells, I can't stay in there very long at all.

Beenhereforever
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Refuse to be in the car with him. 

okiemamaCyndi
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I can't imagine my husband continuing to smoke with me in the car in this situation.  He can't wait a few freaking minutes???

Start taking a can of lysol or air freshener with you and start spraying it around in the car like crazy - roll all the windows down, start coughing and just generally acting like a complete jackass every time he lights up. 

Maybe he'll get the hint, but since it seems like he just doesn't give a crap I'm not sure he'll stop.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)