Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Hey all! My son is 4 months old and I am transitioning from breastfeeding to formula ( I know I suck :( but work is interfering with my supply ) but anyways I use slow flow nipples on his bottle and he seems frustrated and upset when feeding...could it be he isn't getting enough and I need to go to med or fast flow??? Advice please! :))
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Replies (11-20):
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM
No, pumps aren't nearly as good as baby at getting the milk out. Right after your milk comes in you have oversupply and it is much easier to pump large amounts. After a while your supply regulates to what baby needs and pumping output drops. It's totally normal and no indication of wha your baby actually gets. A pump might get half an ounce but baby might get 3 or 4 during a nursing session.

Quoting Wdpitts22:

Really?? I thought I should be pumping the amt he eats at each feeding...and he takes 4-5oz now

Quoting norahsmommy:

That amount is totally normal. Normal pump output is .5 oz to 2 oz. per session. You will just have to pump more frequently if you need more stored milk.

Quoting Wdpitts22:

That's what I have been doing but it's getting to the point where I'm just drying up. When I pump at work I get 2oz out one side and less than an oz out the other :(

Quoting frndlyfn:

I am presuming you will try to nurse  at the times you are not working as well as the supplementing with formula.  It does not have to be one or the other for feeding.  

Wdpitts22
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Oh wow!! That is awesome to know! Thanks so much! I was about to quit bf
LuvMommysBabies
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I did medium flow first, didn't use fast flow until about 6/7 months
CrystalYaris
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:14 PM

My son's doctor, when he was 6 months old, asked if he was starting use a sippy cup. I said no because I didn't think they needed to. He said start introducing them at 6 months I believe. I tried and failed. He was 15 months old before he finally took to a sippy. When he was 4 months old, I started using med flow nipples on the bottles for a few weeks then moved to fast flow because he was not happy with med flow. All I can suggest is listen to your baby. He will tell you what he wants and is ready for. Also, at 3 months (which was probably against doctor's advice) was eating baby food. He just wasn't happy with formula alone. So, twice a day he ate a jar of baby food.

Quoting Wdpitts22:

What is the avg age to start sippy cups?! Am I behind??? Lol I'm a first time mom so I'm learning

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

I started using med flow around 4 months and then fast flow around 6-7 months. Not often though. My kids were using mostly sippy cups at 3-4 months old, just a bottle before sleep time. lol

CrystalYaris
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Oh! And some brands of nipples give you a desired age on them. I can't remember which brand it was I bought, but it had recommended age on the top along with the flow type.

RADmomma
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:36 PM
My dd is 6 months & still uses a slow flow. She gags if I go to medium.... So it all depends on the baby!
RADmomma
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:36 PM
Check out the breast feeding group they will help you a ton!!!
MrS.GiFFord
by Brittany on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:38 PM

My daughter will be 4 months on the 12th of July and still uses slow flow. I tried medium and she threw it all up!

Wdpitts22
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I tried medium flow this evening for his last bottle and it worked great. He drank the whole bottle without fussing and burped and is now sleeping ever so peacefully!! :)
Wdpitts22
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Mobile Photo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN