Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Daughter fell off the couch and landed on her head...

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:38 AM
  • 12 Replies
It was linoleum. She was pissed for a bit but then she went back to playing for about an hour and now she's gotten a drink and asleep. I can wake her up.

How would I know she had a concussion or something ER worthy?
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this

how high was it from surface to surface?  I have no clue how to check for concussion at home.  I would be the person who takes her child in if it is a direct fall on head.

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:47 AM
From the arm of the couch so about 2 feet high. She's 15 months.

Quoting frndlyfn:

how high was it from surface to surface?  I have no clue how to check for concussion at home.  I would be the person who takes her child in if it is a direct fall on head.

Stari27
by New Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Trust your instinct.  From what you are describing it sounds fine, her behaviour doesn't sound abnormal.  You're her mother, you would be the best judge really.  I have post concussion syndrome myself so I know from experience how bad it can be and it isn't something to be careless about.  I don't think I would be worried if that were my child.  There are times when symptoms can show up later, not right away after an injury, but it sounds like you are keeping an eye on it.  If there is a lump or swelling you might want to take her in, but you really are the best judge.

**edited -- At 15 months maybe I would be a bit more concerned... that was added while I typed my post >.>

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:49 AM

make sure her pupils are even and that she is able to focus her eyes... if she is old enough to walk watch for sgns of dizziness... and abnormal fatigue or nausea are signs of a ER worth injury. I'm sure there are more but those are what I've been told to look for.

Mely1201
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:49 AM

How did she seem during that hour? Is there a bump on her head? I would try to wake her up to put myself at ease if she were mine

ReeseStrickland
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Vomiting, dark circles under eyes, enlarged pupils in a lighted room, lethargy, any of those. Sometimes it takes a couple hours.

Head bops are always scary!
KendallsMommee
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:50 AM
She sounds fine, but be vigilant tonight.
kitty8199
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:53 AM
That shouldn't be a significant enough fall. Not high or enough force.

Just keep an eye on her, but she should fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:53 AM
I can wake her up; I did try that. It's her normal bedtime so it's not abnormal for her to be tired especially given she was up 3 hours early this morning. No bump. She just cursed me out in baby babble and cried a bit then went back to chasing her brother.

Quoting Mely1201:

How did she seem during that hour? Is there a bump on her head? I would try to wake her up to put myself at ease if she were mine

Mely1201
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:02 AM

She's probablly fine. If she was crying a lot then fell asleep right away I would have been worried more 

Quoting MissTacoBell:

I can wake her up; I did try that. It's her normal bedtime so it's not abnormal for her to be tired especially given she was up 3 hours early this morning. No bump. She just cursed me out in baby babble and cried a bit then went back to chasing her brother.

Quoting Mely1201:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN