Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Company not following employee manual?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:45 AM
  • 11 Replies
So I am a nurse at a local nursing home. It is a new facility that opened. Well I worked Memorial Day. According to the employee manual full time and part time employees both receive holiday pay (time and a half) if they work the holiday. Well the payroll person and administrator (who just asked the payroll person) says that only full time employees get holiday pay. I am part time. Is there anything I can do legally to make them pay me holiday pay? They want to make me work every other holiday (full time and part time employees are supposed to) and I wouldn't care if I just didnt have to work any more holidays ESP x mas and thanksgiving
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RADmomma
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Take the manual to them, show them where it says part time get holiday pay... If the refuse contact a higher up... Good luck
Tipsen
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:06 PM
I took the manual to them but they said the policy in the book was misprinted and they don't have a copy of the actual policy

Quoting RADmomma:

Take the manual to them, show them where it says part time get holiday pay... If the refuse contact a higher up... Good luck

RADmomma
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM
That's bogus. I'd try someone higher up. Until they provide you with the real policy you are due the pay. I would refuse to work them if they aren't going to follow the manual that they provided.

But most places don't pay holiday for part time so I can see that it was a misprint but they are still required to pay until they provide you with an updated manual.

Quoting Tipsen:

I took the manual to them but they said the policy in the book was misprinted and they don't have a copy of the actual policy

Quoting RADmomma:

GirlieGal76
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:38 PM

That's like them saying that the pay they initially wrote in your contract was typed incorrectly..."oh sorry, you thought you were making $17 an hour, ohhhh, hahaha, yeah, no. It's actually $7, sorry about the misprint."

I would definitely take it higher than the people you've already talked with. What is written in the employee manual that you're given is what they need to follow. They can't have one set of rules that's secretly hidden from you and expect you to follow it.

Quoting Tipsen:

Quoting RADmomma:

Idntreallycare
by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I would show them the manual and say "it says right here that PT employees get holiday pay too" and if payroll won't do it, go up to the next person in line

shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Report them to l&I for shorting your wages. They'll ask for your proof and then their proof, if you are right then they will make the company pay you.
Tipsen
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:55 PM
What is l and l ? I will report it. Makes me so mad. I don't depend on the money thankfully but still.

Quoting shadow_lark:

Report them to l&I for shorting your wages. They'll ask for your proof and then their proof, if you are right then they will make the company pay you.

GirlieGal76
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I think they meant L&I, which is Labor and Industries. :)

Quoting Tipsen:

What is l and l ? I will report it. Makes me so mad. I don't depend on the money thankfully but still.

Quoting shadow_lark:

shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Department of labor and industries. They're there to help, its free, and your employer can not retaliate if you bring them into it. And its a really easy process too

Quoting Tipsen:

Quoting shadow_lark:

Tipsen
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Thanks I will do this. Hopefully they can help me.

Quoting shadow_lark:

Department of labor and industries. They're there to help, its free, and your employer can not retaliate if you bring them into it. And its a really easy process too

Quoting Tipsen:

Quoting shadow_lark:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN